RED LION COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1100815
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
RED LION COTTAGE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED LION COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 04:28:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED LION COTTAGE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Three Rivers (District Authority)
Parish:
Sarratt
National Grid Reference:
TQ 04176 99690

Details

TQ 0499 SARRATT THE GREEN (Northeast side) Sarratt

12/291 Red Lion Cottage

GV II

House. Early to mid C16. Extended C17, mid C18 and c.1970. Timber frame. Red brick cased, part rendered, some sham timber frame applied. Later additions are brick. Tiled roof. Originally a 2 bay open hall. Gable end to road has leaded light horizontal sliding sashes, rendered with sham framing above ground floor brick. Original front is now right return facing garden. 2 light casements and horizontal sliding sashes with cambered and flat arched heads in earlier range. Slightly higher ridge to C17 bay with an extruded stack. Further right is c.1970 addition in similar brick. To rear or left return is an external stack, dated 'IG 1740', offsets. Entrance in C20 lean-to addition behind stack. Behind this and to rear of C17 bay is mid C18 kitchen wing dated 'TS 1752'. Rear gable end stack. Interior: ground floor chamfered bearer, jowled posts with curved braces to cambered tie beams, queen struts to collars clasping purlins, curved windbraces. C17 bay has smaller scantling, straight braces, clasped purlin roof.

Listing NGR: TQ0417699690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158936
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02578/30
Rights: Copyright IoE John Reeve. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].