This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1100829

Location

MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL, SANDY LODGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158864

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 SE RICKMANSWORTH SANDY LODGE LANE (North side) Moor Park 9/220 Merchant Taylors School

GV II

Large group of school buildings. 1931-3 by W.G. Newton for the Merchant Taylors' Company. 2" red brick with stone dressings. Tiled and pantiled hipped roofs. Neo-Georgian/Swedish Modern Style. Gatehouse with quadrant walls to Great Hall, linked to sides are Headmaster's House and Dining Block, extending to rear 2 arms diverge as if to reflect scissors on plan with classroom blocks, chapel and a clock tower at far end. All 2 storeys. Gatehouse has curved and angled walls as a segment of a circle. Stone architraved segmental headed entrance in a relieving arch. Timber doors with wrought iron dates, 1561, 1875 and 1933. Brick plinth and quoining. Parapet with banded brick rustication and central stone plaque from old school founded 1561. Low side rooms with round headed windows in relieving arches. To rear a round arched opening with a stone sill and iron work. Segmental vault inside with patterned brick and stone paving. Low quadrant walls link gatehouse to Great Hall. 1:7:1. Flint and brick paving before 7 ground floor round arches with brick key blocks to half glazed recesses with decorative ironwork. Outer porches with segmental heads to stone architraved entrances. Lozenge glazed windows. 7 tall first floor windows in stone architraves, patterned glazing. Urns rest on sills with relief panels of athletic figures over lintels. Above entrance porches are empty niches, gauged brick with stone sills. Lead rainwater pipes. Continuous stone cornice with stone spouts between bays in stone coped parapet. 4 dormers. Brick quoined rebated corners to returns of 3 bays. Left return: ground floor foundation stone beneath a decoratively glazed ribbon window. Flanking entrances all under a projecting hood holding a balcony with 3 segmental projections to first floor tall central round headed window in a patterned brick surround, flanking strip lights. On shallow gable an owl acroterion. Right return is similar. Inner elevation of Hall is 1:7:1 with arms extending from outer bays. Projecting forward on ground floor is a cloistered walk. 7 round arches with stone keys and relief panels to coped parapet. First floor windows as to front with relief panels over lintels depicting attributes of branches of knowledge. 3 square openings beneath centre and alternate bays with quoined surrounds and stone keys. 9 bay 1 storey link to left of Hall to Headmaster's House. H on plan. 2 storeys and attic. Facing hall 5 bays with slightly projecting cross wings. Central entrance with stone architrave and cornice. First floor tripartite windows. Outer glazing bar sashes. Extruded stacks on wings. 6 bay returns. Outer elevation has central 2 storey aedicule, keyed ground floor architrave, 2 recessed columns to first floor with pediment. Brick rustication. Outer projecting wings. 12 bay 2 storey administration block to right of hall links to Dining Hall. 2 storeys and attic. 10 bays. Projecting ground floor on long sides with round headed windows, coved hoods to entrances, 3 dormers. Short end has tall round headed stained glass window. From rear of Great Hall diverging arms each comprise central projecting, squarish 5 bay blocks, that to left library/exam hall, 3 long bays with short intermediate and slightly projecting bays, horizontal windows and brick rustication towards hall, similar 5 bay ranges away from hall. Library/exam hall has flat arched heads to ground floor windows with brick rustication. Stone course below tall first floor windows with stone key blocks. 2 hipped dormers. Opposing block similar, ground floor has round arched windows with a stone impost band, inner bays with relieving arches, outer bays open to recessed entrances. Flat roof. Courtyard has patterned brick paving between these blocks. At far end a 1 storey range links these arms. 2:3:2. 3 open round arches with a slightly tapering central tower with octagonal clocks, herringbone and other brick patterning, weathervane, flanking hipped dormers. To left is chapel with reconstructed stone mullion and transom 6 light windows. Outer elevation of this range has 3 central arches set back with raking buttresses to tower. Mutuled timber eaves continue on flanking 3 bay blocks. Outer 2 storey 7 bay classroom blocks have central full height canted bays, open to ground floor entrances. Outer elevation of library-/exam block: ground floor French windows with decorative ironwork. First floor round headed windows with iron balconettes, stone impost band. Relief panels of famous figures. Outer elevation of opposing block: ground floor round headed windows in relieving arches, tripartite horizontal first floor windows, flanking entrance bays. Interior: loosely Corinthian columniation to 3 bay entrance lobby to Great Hall with pre-cast concrete coffered ceiling, decorative wrought iron and brass. Concrete piers and ribs in aisled Dining Hall. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0922893992

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TQ 09228 93992

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 07:00:22.

End of official listing