This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHORLEYWOOD COLLEGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHORLEYWOOD COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1100860

Location

CHORLEYWOOD COLLEGE, DOG KENNEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chorleywood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158738

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD DOG KENNEL LANE (Southeast-side) Chorleywood

5/97 Chorleywood College

II

Country house, now college. 1865 for J.S. Gilliatt. Yellow brick, stone dressings. Slate mansard roof. In a French Renaissance Style. Front and rear ranges as 2 distinct blocks, that to rear longer. 2 storeys and attics. 3:3:3 front, centre projecting forward. Projecting central porch with front and return round arches enclosed by glazing and panelled doors. Corner piers with plinth, fluted colonnettes, foliate ornament and monograms in spandrels, keyed blocks to archivolts. Moulded cornice. Pierced parapet with circular openings. Flanking ground floor 3 by 3 ovolo moulded stone mullion and transom windows with cornices. Plinth. String course to first floor with 3 sashes in lugged-architraves to central portion that to centre slightly larger. Each bay articulated by giant pilaster strips. Moulded cornice to mansard attic with segmental pedimented dormers with pilaster jambs to round headed windows, that to centre elaborated with double pilasters, scrolled sides, open pediment with a smaller open pediment rising above it all. Railings on top of roof. Outer bays have tall ground floor sashes with lugged and corniced architraves. Plinth. Sill bands. String course. First floor sashes with lugged architraves. Moulded cornice. Dormers as to centre with relief carving in pediments. Flanking central bays, at left end and to rear right are cross axial stacks with stone moulded bases and caps and blind key blocked round arches on shafts. 1 bay right return with large iron and glass conservatory attached, moulded stone base, coved roof. Garden front: 1:2:3:2:1. Centre and ends projecting forward. To centre ground floor tripartite French windows with stone plinth and loosely Corinthian architraves. String course to first floor, 1:2:1 light windows with pilaster mullions, that to left with stained glass to stairs. Giant brick pilasters with stone carved capitals. Moulded cornice. Carved festoons below eaves and at sills to 3 dormers with round headed windows, pilaster jambs, masks over keys, modillioned cornice, hipped roofs. Flanking centre are 2 bays set back, ground floor left French windows, right tall sashes with a stone plinth. In front of ground floor linking central and end bays are Doric ashlar double arcades with round key blocked archivolts, carved medallions in spandrels. First floor sashes with lugged architraves. Outer bays have tripartite windows on both floors with pilaster mullions. Giant pilasters. Hipped roofs. Stacks on rear block as at front. Attached to left from front is 2 storey stock brick service wing, glazing bar sashes with stone sills, gauged brick flat arched heads. Plain coped parapet. Plat band to rear. Front bay nearest main range has a dormer in a mansard as on main range. Interior: 2 marble Corinthian columns from entrance hall to open well stair with turned balusters, carved newel posts, panelled soffit and coved soffit to gallery, plasterwork ceiling. Elsewhere elaborate wood chimney pieces, panelling, library shelving and plasterwork ceilings all in C17 styles. Formerly known as the Cedars. (VCH 1908).

Listing NGR: TQ0386196171

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)

National Grid Reference: TQ 03861 96171

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100860 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 11:00:48.

End of official listing