BEDFORD AND ESSEX ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101119

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jan-1983

Statutory Address: BEDFORD AND ESSEX ALMSHOUSES, 1-8, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEDFORD AND ESSEX ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 00:43:03.

Location

Statutory Address: BEDFORD AND ESSEX ALMSHOUSES, 1-8, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 11017 96240

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1196 SW 10/49

CHURCH STREET Bedford and Essex Almshouses (No 1 to 8 consec) Formerly listed as The Lord Essex Almshouses

26.8.52

GV II 1580 row of 8 almshouse cottages. Rendered, one storey and attic. Plain tile roofs with 4 massive paired brick chimney stacks. Regular front of 3 big gables and 2 smaller end gables. Overhanging eaves. Wood mullioned windows, 4-light in large gables, 2-light in end gables and ground floor. Simply moulded door openings, paired in central 3 sections. Queen strut roof trusses with straight bracing. Built by Francis, 2nd Earl of Bedford to house 8 poor women from Watford, Chenies and Langley. RCHM 139.13

Listing NGR: TQ1101796240

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 158141

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing