CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101192.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 16:00:52.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Dacorum (District Authority)
- Nettleden with Potten End
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 01999 10474
TL 01 SW NETTLEDEN WITH NETTLEDEN
POTTEN END (South side)
3/218 Church of St. Lawrence 30.11.66
Chapel of Ease to Pitstone Church (Bucks), a Parish Church since 1895. C15 (c.1470 licence to consecrate altars), chancel and N wall of nave, rebuilt by brick in 1811 for Earl of Bridgewater, probably by James Wyatt who was then rebuilding Ashridge for the Earl. Restored 1887 (Kelly), roof reconstructed 1947-57. Flint rubble now roughcast to older fabric, plum red brick to chancel and S side of nave. Brick buttresses and embattled parapets to S side. Stone windows. Roofs low pitched and concealed. A small unaisled church of chancel, nave, W tower, and N porch. Brick buttresses with 2 offsets define 3-bays nave and lower and narrower 2-bays square ended chancel. Small rectangular brick porch with painted stone 4-centred entrance with cusped spandrels and square label. Stone copings to porch battlements. Hollow moulded head to chamfered N door with 'WW/1811' cut in RH jamb. Battened C19 oak door with reused wrought iron foliate hinge plates. N side of nave has 2 3-light tall stone Perp style windows to E of porch with traceried pointed heads, hollow-moulded jambs inside and out, and cinquefoil lower lights. Some reused C15 tracery, and windows copy 2 restored original windows in S wall. Interior has C19 encaustic tiled flooring, wooden painted dado of narrow trefoil-headed panels, 5½-bays open timber roof with wallposts and straight braces to cranked tie-beams each with diagonally striped painted roll-mouldings. Chamfered square oak pulpit on fat circular base with vigorous carving in high relief presented by Lady Marion Alford in memory of Rev G.S. Cautley (1887). C19 low wooden screen on lower chancel step with 4 painted saints. Discreet upright oval bellied wall tablet in frame to John Maccascree d.1713 and Ann his wife d.1714 on LH side of chancel arch. Fine painted alabaster Jacobean wall monument on S wall to Edmund Bressy d.1612 and Lucretia his wife d.1610 with black marble Corinthian columns, 2 kneeling figures, small figures of children below, and strapwork ornament to base corbel. 4-centred Gothick chancel arch with hollow chamfered moulded caps to half-octagonal jamb shafts similar to Wyatt's work at Ashridge. Chancel has stone floor and plastered 4-centred ribbed vault. Jamb-shafts and hoodmoulds to inside of the 2 windows in each wall with stained glass. Dado similar to nave. 2-light Perp style traceried windows in N and S walls with trefoil heads and quatrefoil over. 3-light traceried E window. In chancel floor the brass of a knight in armour, with shields of arms in corners of slab, to George Cotton 1545. Monument on S wall to Robert Carke d.1841, Gothic with clustered shafts framing panel with 4-centred head and cresting above, erected by Earl and Countess of Bridgewater. 3-storeys W tower with embattled parapet has diagonal W buttresses based on puddingstones, cast iron rainwater head dated '1811' on E face, belfry openings of 2 trefoil lights with 4-centred heads, square headed C16 N and S windows with low cills and 2 trefoil lights to ground stage (N window blocked and with pins for internal shutters), C19 chamfered, pointed W door inserted below 3-light C15 blocked W window with label and trefoil lights under 4-centred head. York-stone offsets to buttresses. Vestry in base of tower. C14 stone coffin without lid outside W wall of tower. (VCH (1908) 317-8: RCHM (1911) 155: Kelly (1914) 189: Pevsner (1977) 258: inf Mrs. Jean Simpson).
Listing NGR: TL0200310476
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 155
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 258
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 189
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing