NINE ASHES FARM HOUSE OPPOSITE THE LANE TO HUNSDONBURY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101282

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: NINE ASHES FARM HOUSE OPPOSITE THE LANE TO HUNSDONBURY, ACORN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NINE ASHES FARM HOUSE OPPOSITE THE LANE TO HUNSDONBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101282 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 23:41:36.

Location

Statutory Address: NINE ASHES FARM HOUSE OPPOSITE THE LANE TO HUNSDONBURY, ACORN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hunsdon

National Grid Reference: TL 41702 13186

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4113 HUNSDON ACORN STREET (east side)

8/6 Nine Ashes Farm house opposite the lane to - Hunsdonbury

GV II

House. Early C19, incorporating part of Sir Thomas Forster's brick late C16 house, extended and re modelled in Arts and Crafts Style in later C19 (on OS 25" 1879). Large L-shaped 2 storeys brick farmhouse facing W. Grey brick later C19 W range with steep gabled tiled roof with cupola. Rear 2 storeys corridor under flatter slate roof. N range early C19 in yellow brick with hipped slate roof. Late C16 red brick, single storey building at E end of N range, half sunk in ground and with steep hipped slate roof, now a dairy. This has 3-light mullioned timber windows with lattice leaded glazing and external wire grilles. W front to irregular picturesque Arts and Crafts Style design with 5 windows. 2 half-timbered gables in centre with projecting verges carried on shaped brackets. Large leaded casement window with horizontal emphasis and moulded cornice, to 1st floor below each gable. 4-light similar window to right on each floor. 7-light canted wooden bay window with leaded lights and dentilled cornice on Ground floor below each timbered gable. Tapering square wooden cupola central, above ridge, with ogee lead roof, arched open sides with moulded cornice, bell inside and tall tapering finial with knob. 2 recessed sash windows of earlier house, on left above projecting shallow square bay with French doors, and above entrance beside lefthand bay window. Entrance with open gabled tiled porch deliberately designed to appear to cut across the contemporary classical pilastered doorcase with round-headed doorway. Turned balusters in the sides of the porch. Interior has panelled entrance hall with tiled fireplace and copper repousse fire hood and finger plates with hearts. 2 early copper light fittings, and original embossed strapwork ceiling covering and foliate frieze. Dining room also formed in older N range with added bay window, embossed ceiling and frieze and oak fire surround with tall tapered uprights and large cyma cornice. Drawing room and smoking room in front range have similar details. The earlier brick house was built by the Judge Sir Thomas Forster (tomb in church) probably remodelling on older house called Deathe. A description in 1600 mentions the barns, stabes and dovehouse still existing. Sold to Peter Calvert in 1675 and house pulled down by Nicolson Calvert in the early C19 (HLHS (1979) 35), and replaced by the present farmhouse as part of the Hunsdon House Estate. Remodelled when it was part of the Bonnington's Estate probably by Mr Baxendale. A large picturesque C19 farmhouse of special interest incorporating part of a C16 house, enlarged and altered in Arts and Crafts Style with original interiors remaining. Part of historic farm group.

Listing NGR: TL4170213186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159927

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing