This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ASPENDEN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASPENDEN HALL

List entry Number: 1101364

Location

ASPENDEN HALL, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aspenden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3528 ASPENDEN THE STREET (north side)

8/1 Aspenden Hall

19.10.51

GV II

Country house, now housing grain dryers. 1856 replacing Jacobean house, for the 2nd Sir Henry Lushington. Gutted c1963 for farm use. Stuccoed brick, low pitched roof concealed by parapets. A large rectangular 2 storeys, 7 windows classical house facing E in Doric style with channelled pilasters and pedimented central feature to E front, where there is a pedimented porch supported by twinned Doric columns. Plate glass sash windows generally, but French windows to ground floor on W (garden) front. Moulded base, string course and eaves to parapet breaking forward round pilasters on all sides of house. Single storey pedimented conservatory in middle of S end. Service wing at N demolished. Important landscape feature and part of setting of parish church. (VCH (1914) 17: RCHM Typescript: RCHM Monuments Threatened or Destroyed (1963) 42).

Listing NGR: TL3526328506

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 17
Other
Monuments Threatened or Destroyed, (1963)

National Grid Reference: TL 35263 28506

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101364 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 10:53:31.

End of official listing