BONKS HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101676

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1981

Statutory Address: BONKS HILL HOUSE, HIGH WYCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BONKS HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:46:41.

Location

Statutory Address: BONKS HILL HOUSE, HIGH WYCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sawbridgeworth

National Grid Reference: TL 47815 14359

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH WYCH ROAD 1. 5253 (North Side) Bonks Hill House TL 478 143:6/21 II 2. C17 largely rebuilt and extended circa 1827 for the celebrated rose grower Thomas Rivers (1789-1877) of Rivers Nursery adjoining (founded by John Rivers in 1725 with Bonks Hill as the family house). Regency 2 storey L- shaped stucco villa,with giant pilasters to front facing SE. Hipped slate roof with plastered soffit panelled. Large gable stack to N end where 2 storey timberframed and weatherboarded section of older house remains. Long 1½ storey timberframed weatherboarded range encloses N side of front court. Steep pantiled clasped purlin roof. Now storage, this range has a central red brick chimney possibly indicating earlier domestic use. Yorkshire casement window under eaves. This range is said to have been shortened at the SE end when the road cutting was made in the late C19. 3 window stucco front lined as ashlar over projecting plinth. Large recessed sashes with 6/6 panes and slender glazing bars. 4 giant pilasters framing 3 bays, the central one narrower. Central round headed doorway with simple stucco architrave with flattened torus moulding unbroken except for square panelled impost blocks. Door set in recessed plain arch. Bolection moulded panelled door with large bottom panel, a horizontal mid panel and 2 vertical panels above. Lobed radial fanlight with tapered lantern in centre with 3 front faces. SW front symmetrical. Projecting plinth. Stucco lined as ashlar. Central and corner pilasters. 2 broad full height projections in panels between, pierced by windows. Recessed 6/6 paned sashes. French doors to Gd floor. Projecting C19 single storey conservatory next S corner. Elongated cast iron corner columns carrying iron entablature with interlaced vine scroll frieze and coved cornice. Glazed timber screens. A house of striking appearance in a picturesque setting and with important historical horticultural connections (Country Life, 25 June 1981, p 1838).

Listing NGR: TL4781514359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160777

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 25 June, (1981), 1838

End of official listing