Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101683.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 08:43:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 48207 14883


BELL STREET 1. 5253 (North Side) No 11 (The Red House) TL 4821 1488:3/19 6.6.52 II* GV 2. Circa 1700, refronted 1720-30, rear extensions 1860-70. Elaborate red brick house set back a little from the street. Old red tiled gabled roof and internal gable chimneys. Front range 2 storeys and attics one room deep with central entrance and stair. Timberframed wall divides from shorter central rear range in English bond brickwork with semi-basement kitchen originally with a low room over under a catslide continuation of the main roof and with lateral chimney. Roof raised to create Victorian drawing room. Western rooms extended to rear and single storey coach-house on E end built in later C19. Symmetrical facade, 3 heavy pedimented dormers survive from earliest phase with wooden mouldings of great projection. Middle pediment has 3-centred curve, outer ones triangular. Later wooden casements. Text book example of 5 windows, Georgian front in red brick with gauged brick window dressings, dentilled cornice, parapet, rusticated corner pilasters, moulded band at floor level, and broad rusticated panel surrounding central flat arched window. 6 panel door with central bead and raised and fielded panels. 3 pane fanlight. Elegant wooden doorcase with fluted Ionic pilasters and full entablature with swelled frieze, modillioned cornice and segmental pediment. C18 boxed sashes a little recessed, with 6/6 panes. Interior has c.1700 well stair rising through 2 storeys. Panelled string, turned balusters and moulded handrail raking in cusp curves. Panelled W room of same period on 1st floor with 2 panel door raised and fielded. Similar panelling above and below moulded chair rail. Moulded cornice. Fire surround with architrave, consoles and full entablature as shelf. 2 panel cupboard doors with 'H' hinges. Window recesses and reveals have later ovolo moulded flat panelling. Wide 3-centred arch c.1860-70 with floral impost leads into small extension with contemporary cornice, deep frieze and 2/2 sash window. 2 panel bolection moulded door with raised and fielded panels to ground floor W room which has panelled dado and moulded cornice. Wooden fire surround c.1790 with fluted pilasters and flattened drum caps. Full entablature with relief ornament. Frieze has swags, urn on projections over each pilaster, and central tablet with lyre, crossed musical instruments and swags. Leaf bed mould. Shelf edge decorated. Yellow figured marble slips and early C19 basket grate. 2 panel doors generally with plank doors in attic rooms. Former basement kitchen has large blocked fireplace, shelf on shaped brackets. Round headed cupboard to left with panelled door and 'H' hinges. 8/4 box sash windows with segmental arches and slightly recessed box. Victorian drawing room has 2/2 recessed sashes with gauged flat arches. Floral cornice with egg and dart moulding and cove. Simple marble fire surround. Date '1875' said to be carved on tie beam in red brick and slate roofed single storey coach-house on E. Red brick walls flank front court closed by wood fence of 6 posts with square urn finials, linked by simple picket and rail panels over dwarf wall, probably to original pattern.

House and interior extensively illustrated by Nathaniel Lloyd in his A History of English Brickwork (1928) p307, and The History of the English House (1931) p242 (front), p339 (dormers) and p460 (staircase).

Listing NGR: TL4820714883


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Lloyd, N, A History of English Brickwork, (1928), 307
Lloyd, N, History of the English House, (1931), 242 339
Lloyd, N, History of the English House, (1931), 339


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02865/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].