The Elms Health Centre

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101686
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
The Elms Health Centre, 4, Bell Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Elms Health Centre
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101686.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 22:25:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Elms Health Centre, 4, Bell Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sawbridgeworth
National Grid Reference:
TL4816614871

Details

TL 4816 1487 3/28

BELL STREET (south side) No 4 (The Elms health centre)

6.6.52

GV II Early C18. Large L-shaped house of two storeys, cellars and attics, timber-framed and plastered. High brick wall extending to east. C19, two storey weatherboarded and slate roofed extensions to rear. Old red tile roofs, hipped and with bellcast to eaves. Red brick chimneys rising through ridge.

North front has two hipped dormers, wood modillioned eaves cornice, panelled pargetting and symmetrical four window front A-B-B-A with a central pargetting motif of a circle within a quatrefoil over the door. The inner first floor windows have flush box sashes with architraves and 6/6 panes of crown glass in thick glazing bars ovolo moulded internally. Outer windows on first floor have wider flush box sashes with 8/8 panes, possibly later in date. Same pattern of windows on ground floor but sashes renewed. Wood doorcase up steps. Fluted Ionic pilasters rise from moulded bases and support a full entablature with swelled frieze and triangular pediment. Sun firemark no. 169528 in tympanum.

East front to garden has modillioned cornice, flush box sashes 8/8 with architraves at first floor flanking central triple window 4/4:8/8:4/4. French doors central to ground floor flanked by 8/12 sashes.

Wide entrance hall flanked by two rooms. First floor right hand room has simple dentilled cornice and shouldered wooden fire surround with scrolls supporting entablature as shelf. Original stair with heavy balusters leading to attics which have chamfered plank doors with old iron hinges.

Attached single storey slate roofed outbuildings extend to south and support small C18 wrought iron garden gate with horizontal panel of scrollwork.

The name dates only from 1888 and the house was bought by the local authority in 1964 (EHDC Deeds). The north front is illustrated by Nathaniel Lloyd as an example of pargetting in his A History of the English House (1931) p279.

Listing NGR: TL4816614871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160737
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lloyd, N, History of the English House, (1931), 279

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04401/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].