SAYESBURY MANOR COUNCIL OFFICES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101687
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
SAYESBURY MANOR COUNCIL OFFICES, BELL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAYESBURY MANOR COUNCIL OFFICES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 17:41:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
SAYESBURY MANOR COUNCIL OFFICES, BELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sawbridgeworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 48234 14776

Details

BELL STREET 1. 5253 (South Side) Sayesbury Manor council offices TL 4823 1477:3/29 II 2. Circa 1780, possibly earlier house remodelled. Early C19, 1-bay extension to W and extensive outbuildings to N. Set back beyond car park and originally facing S. Carpenter's Gothic 2 storey timberframed and stuccoed house with steep hipped roof now slated. Originally symmetrical 7-window S front with gable chimneys, extended 1 bay to W in matching style. Flush box sashes to 1st floor with 6/6 panes and label dripmoulds rising to blunt point in centre. Uniform French windows to Gd floor are later. Flat soffit to eaves overhang has alternately lion masks biting rings and smaller lion masks. Early C19,6 panel central flush door with reeded mouldings around panels. C18 decorative wooden Gothic porch with flat top. 2 free- standing columns and 2 half columns at wall and full entablature. Columns consist of 4 clustered colonnets with annulets projecting. Frieze of sunk trefoils, tongued brackets, and a coved and arched cornice. Pattern derived from Batty Langley's Gothic Architecture Restored and Improved of 1741. Central stair with rooms each side. Rear half has lower 1st floor under continuation of main roof with staircase expressed as a higher gabled central feature on N. Columned porch on N probably added when this became entrance front. Interior much altered. Panelled room at SE of Gd floor may be original. Stair balustrade altered. A range of lower stuccoed timberframed buildings with slate roofs runs N from the NE part of the house, described in the deeds as domestic offices, archway, harness room, and stable, this with its axis parallel with the house. Known as Roselands in the C19, the name was changed to Hatters Croft in 1902 and to Sayesbury Manor in 1939 (EHDC Deeds). The Gothic porch is the most elaborate example of 4 in the town.

Listing NGR: TL4823414776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160739
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Langley, B, Gothic Architecture Restored and Improved, (1741)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15100/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter L. Herring. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].