WIDFORD JMI SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1101928
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
WIDFORD JMI SCHOOL, WARE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WIDFORD JMI SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 03:35:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
WIDFORD JMI SCHOOL, WARE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Widford
National Grid Reference:
TL4187615842

Details

TL 4115 WIDFORD WARE ROAD (north side) Widford village

5/6 Widford JMI School

-

GV II

School. 1875-6 probably by G E Pritchett of Bishops Stortford. Grey brick with dressings of polychrome brickwork, terra-cotta decorative window arches, and with steep gabled roofs slated in contrasting bands. A tall Gothick 1 storey Local Board School with 2 gabled porches and a 2 storey crosswing at W end as the School House. Asymmetrical design with 2 tall projecting chimneys on front wall with tumbled offsets and heavy corbelled caps. 2 large 3-light sash windows flank the western stack and have panelled terracotta vousiors and keystones over the floral motif to each. Steep heavy slate sills rest on a continuous red brick moulded string and there is a chamfered plinth. The string and plinth continue round the 2 porches flanking the windows. These have red and white brick flat arches to 3-light low casement windows with similar slate cills. Heavy plank doors, with decorative hinge plates with polychrome pointed brick arch over and bargeboarded gable with pendant and diamond cut ends to purlins and wall plates punched through. Similar bargeboard treatment to house and E gable of school decorated with an arrow wind vane, and having a high window with terra-cotta decorated arch. The roofs are each decorated with broad bands of green and grey slates. House gable projects beyond W porch and has the red brick string at upper floor level stepped up over central window. 2-light recessed sash windows with slate cills and depressed pointed polychrome brick arches. Gabled 2 storey projection on W of house with entrance in the angle under a steep lean-to bracketed canopy. Rear wall of school has pilaster toothed eaves courses with 3-light windows. Similar bracketed slate canopy to school bell on E gable above window. 1 storey low modern extension to E not of special interest. After the 1870 Education Act the small 1829 school was "altogether unsuitable" and the Rector Rev. Henry Hamond and an elected local school board built this school for 110 children in 1875-6. The "Board School" became a Council School in 1902 (HLHS (1979) 55- 6). A vigorous polychrome brick and slate Gothick Board School of 1875-6 of special architectural and historic interest. Part of a group with the older school now the Church Room, in this part of the village Conservation Area.

Listing NGR: TL4187615842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160048
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/13973/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].