Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102501.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Mar-2021 at 04:30:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 21582 27594


WYMONDLEY PRIORY LANE TL 2128 (East side) Little Wymondley

11/156 Wymondley Hall 27.5.68 GV II*

Farmhouse. Late C16 for Nedham family, Lords of the Manor, as home farm to Wymondley Priory, their seat. Bay windows, porch, and oriels on W front, internal alterations and possibly the all-over rendering shown in old photographs mid C17. Interior alterations, large brick N wing, and casing of rear and S side in brick c.1850 for Mrs. Frost. Timbers of W front exposed after c.1912. Timber frame on roughcast brick sill, close-timbering exposed with plastered panels on W front, N wing and casing of older building of red brick in a bond with 2 stretchers and a header repeatedly. Steep old red tile roofs. Slate roof to lean-to addition at rear. A 2-storeys near symmetrical house facing W, set back from road, with a range of 6 front gables and gabled single-storey porch in middle. Originally a T plan house with S parlour crosswing jettied to W, cross-passage at N end of hall with parallel service rooms to N of it, in continuation of same range. C17 improvements involved combining the service rooms as a kitchen with a new 3-flues rear lateral chimney and elaboration of the front with full height canted bay windows and canted oriels at both floor levels, the upper ones topped by separate tiled gables and carried on heavy shaped brackets. Transomed ovolo-moulded mullioned windows. 2 C19 gables at N of front have similar projecting canted bays. Square shafts with triangular fillets give a multangular appearance to the moulded brick C17 kitchen chimney. The old rear lateral chimney to the hall has 2 diagonal,shafts, and there is a similar projecting brick stack on the S side of the S wing against which the C19 casing brickwork ends. Gabled stair tower projects between the large chimney stacks at the rear. Brackets and bull-nosed joists to the jetty of the crosswing. Moulded square-headed front doorway with jamb-stops and old plank door. Interior has open fireplace off-centre in the panelled parlour due to the smaller E room having been taken into the room. Chambers over hall and parlour had fireplaces. Curved wall inserted at N end of old hall and mid C17 stack pierced for access to rear stair. Probably the house called 'The Lower House' in early C17 documents. More recently 'Old Hall Farm'. (RCHM (1911)149: VCH (1912)188: Pevsner (1977)243: RCHM Typescript: inf Mr Farris)

Listing NGR: TL2158227594


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 188
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 243
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].