CHURCH OF ST ETHELDRADA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1102564
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
28-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELDRADA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELDRADA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 01:25:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELDRADA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Graveley
National Grid Reference:
TL 24732 27932

Details

GRAVELEY CHESFIELD TL 22 NW 4/3 Church of St. Etheldreda 9.6.52 (formerly listed as Ruins of Church of St Etheldreda, Clayfield)

GV II*

Ruined church. C13 or early C14, SE chapel mid C14, dismantled 1750 by licence of Bishop of Lincoln, ruins consolidated in 1980s. Flint rubble walls with clunch dressings, chapel walls have many pebbles. Unroofed. External plastering remains on some walls, internal plaster has traces of painting to simulate masonry on N and S walls of nave. A large rectangular church, internally 50ft x 18½ft, of nave and undivided chancel, with angle buttresses. Added SE chapel of equal height, internally 21ft x 13ft, with diagonal corner buttresses, and E wall in line with the E wall of the church. Chapel floor at present ground level but church nave floor buried by about 1½ft. W gable walls of church and chapel stand to full height, N and S walls of nave, and W half of S wall of chapel also, NE angle of chancel is nearly complete, but walls elsewhere are reduced to ground level and have been marked out with consolidated walltops. The standing walls have putlog-holes at 3 levels with clunch surrounds. Wide, 2-centred, N and S doors to nave with continuous external chamfer, scroll-moulded external drip, and internal door checks. Long bar-slot in N wall in E jamb of doorway. Remains of jamb and sill of a N and a S window, and a tumbled section of wall lies within the chancel. Tall narrow 2-lights W window has continuous splay-stones in the head but has lost its central mullion. Stubs of tracery show it had cinquefoil heads to the lights and a quatrefoil above in the head. Similar but narrower doorway in middle of W wall of chapel has continous chamfered jambs with doorcheck, but a pointed segmental rear arch and exposed threshold. Single-light narrow pointed cinquefoil window in remaining half of S wall. Straight joint between W wall of chapel and S wall of nave. Slate tablet set on floor of nave inscribed, 'SAINT ETHELDREDA/BY BIRTH PRINCESS/BY MARRIAGE QUEEN/BY CHOICE ABBESS/630 - 679/HER PARISH CHURCH/FOR THE PEOPLE OF/ CHESFIELD MANOR/DOUNE RUINATED/AND PLUNDERED 1750'. A stone coffin was noted in a hole in the chancel by RCHM (1911:93) and VCH (1912:90). Statue outside W door of chapel a standing figure of St. Etheldreda on an inscribed plinth by Mary Spencer Watson 1982. There is documentary reference to a chapel at Chesfield manor in 1216 which may have preceded the church for the deserted medieval village of Chesfield the ruins of which remain. (RCHM (1911)93: VCH (1912)90: Kelly (1914)105: Pevsner (1977)149: inf Mr. George Seebohm).

Listing NGR: TL2473227932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162616
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 90
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 149
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 105
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04771/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].