HOMESTALL AND FLATS 1 AND 2
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HOMESTALL AND FLATS 1 AND 2, THE MOUNT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102585 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:10:18.
- Statutory Address:
- HOMESTALL AND FLATS 1 AND 2, THE MOUNT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 39544 38261
BARLEY THE MOUNT
TL 3938 (North side)
7/106 Home stall and Flats 1 and 2
Large house, now 3 dwellings. C16 and C17 origins. Largely rebuilt and extended c.1900. Further extended 1913 by B. Parker for R.N. Salaman. Some timber frame to core, extended in brick. Roughcast and weatherboarded with some tile hanging. Later extension is smooth rendered with some thin dark red brick. Tiled roofs. Earliest core is probably only 2 bays with a stack and 2 bays added in C17 on same axis. 2 storeys. Later extensions at both ends appear as crosswings. 2 storeys and attics. c.1900 wing is in a Domestic Revival style, that of 1913 in an Arts and Crafts style. Entrance front: from earliest bays to right of centre extends a short twin gabled c.1900 projection with a central plank and muntin door with a bracketed hood, casement windows, some leaded, one large 8 light mullion and transom window, decorative leaded rainwater pipes and a corbelled out stack. A low outbuilding projects further forward with a bargeboarded gable and an attached tile coped L shaped wall. C17 bays to left have a slightly higher ridge, ground floor lean-to addition with an entrance to left in a gabled porch, part glazed doors, bargeboards. First floor weatherboarding. In roof slope a 2 light box dormer and an axial stack adjoining earliest bays, rebuilt on an early base. To left of this is a c.1900 2 storey staircase wing with a hipped roof, first floor 6 light casement with an ogee head to central lower light. To far left is c.1900 crosswing projecting slightly further, similar 6 light casement, tilehanging in bargeboarded gable. Left return has a ground floor bay window with a similar 6 light casement. A large extruded stack with 5 diagonal shafts has an attached gabled office wing, 1 storey with moulded ogee heads to windows, a further window on main wing behind stack and office. To rear or garden this wing has a 2 storey canted bay window with similar fenestration, tilehanging, projecting gable. 2 bays to left have 1 storey and full height projecting bows with French windows, a gabled dormer and a small c.1900 ridge stack. Earlier and lower bays further left have an entrance and flush frame casements, some leaded. 1913 wing, originally to accommodate servants and nurseries, now 2 flats, is to far left from garden. Principal elevation faces away from rest of house. 4 windows informally arranged, 2 and 3 light flush frame casements with leaded panes, 3 large 2 light hipped dormers. Brick plinth, continuous tile dripmould over ground floor. Entrance in a deep recess to right of centre flanked by a massive brick stack and a water-cum-viewing tower. Entrance recess is framed by stylized engaged columns in brick with recessed pointing, tiled and dentilled capitals, inside decorative brick flooring and a plank and muntin door. Extruded stack to right is very tall with articulated brick shafts and bands, recessed pointing, tile frieze with dentilled brick continuing from capital in entrance bay. Tower to left projects slightly with similar brickwork, small paired casements at 3 levels up to viewing stage which is corbelled out, an open timber square with further projecting glazed sections to centre of each side flanked by paired round arches. Deep eaves to concave pagoda roof with a small open cupola above which rises a copper trumpet spirelet with weathervane. To right of stack ground floor was originally open as a 'stoep' with brick columniation as in entrance bay, paired columns on return, decorative brick paving inside, now a garage and partly enclosed. Ornamental rainwater goods with date 1913 and initials 'RNS/NRS'. Right bay rises to a half hip over an attic. On right return above stoep is a full height shallow segmental 6 light bow window with leaded lights, tilehanging, projecting half hip. Furthest bay to left beyond tower has a lower ridge with a large external stack on gable end of taller bays. Left return has 2 ground floor plank and muntin doors with radiating tiled surrounds, attic light below a projecting half hip. Inner returns to earlier block have 1 and 2 light casements, 2 light dormers. Interior: some exposed framing in early range, close studding and tension braces, jowled posts with arched braces, chamfered binding beam. c.1900 wing has neo-Baroque and neo-Adam interiors: strapwork plaster ceiling in vaulted passage, fireplace in a recessed arch with framing pilasters, panelling, barley sugar rails, an Ionic screen with segmental arches, plaster ceilings, Solomonic columns, panelled staircase with vase balusters, Art Nouveau plates on doors. c.1913 wing has simple interiors, window seat with cupboards in shallow bow window. (J. Wilkerson, Two Ears of Barley, 1969: J. Wilkerson, Barley, an English Village, 1979: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL3954438261
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Wilkerson, J, Two Ears of Barley, (1969)
Wilkerson, J, Barley An English Village, (1979)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing