This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR FARM HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1102626

Location

MANOR FARM HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barkway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162461

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARKWAY CHURCH LANE TL 3835 (South side) Barkway

9/7 Manor Farm House 9.6.52 (formerly listed as The Manor House)

GV II

Large house. C16 core, extended and part rebuilt mid and late C17. Late C19 additions and alterations. Restored c.1900 by W.J. Parker. Some timber frame to core, rendered. Largely red brick, early English bond with rendered dressings, later Flemish bond with stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Complex plan, timber framed core perhaps originally a cross wing of a hall house. Wing enlarged and hall range rebuilt in C17. C19 additions to form a squarish block. 3 storeys. 3 bay entrance elevation has to right a gable fronted mid C17 bay which was a forward addition to original cross wing. Large 5 light mullioned windows with lattice lights, inner and outer ovolo mouldings, hood moulds, ground floor taller with 4 centred arched heads, 2nd floor larger and transomed. Curvilinear shaped gable with an ogee head. Originally external to this block but now cross axial on ridge of C19 addition to left is a large rebuilt stack with 4 separate octagonal shafts, moulded bases, conjoined star capping. Straight joint to C19 bays to left, darker brick with flared headers. Central entrance, 6 panelled door, leaded fanlight and cross casement to right all under a hood mould. Ground floor left and first floor 3 light square headed leaded casements with moulded surrounds and hood moulds, oversailing brick courses at eaves. Left gable end large 2 storey c.1900 canted bay window, 2:3:2 leaded lights, ground floor transom, quoins and coped parapet. 4 light attic window below a shaped gable copying that of C17. Right return of cross wing has 1 bay of C17 brick with a plinth, ground floor small early C19 canted bay window, 8:12:8 pane sashes, first floor small blocked opening with traces of moulding and a later 2 light casement. Further towards rear is part of earlier cross wing, rendered. A ridge stack replaces an earlier external stack at junction of 2 builds. Ground floor 8 light mullion and transom leaded casement, first floor 5 light lattice casement, second floor 6 light mullion and transom leaded half box dormer. C20 extruded stack and a 1 storey late C19 red brick kitchen/dairy outshut project from rear bay, 3 light lattice casements, gable to front, entrance and hipped roof to rear. Rear gable end of cross wing is faced in C19 red brick, part colourwashed, 1, 2 and 3 light casements recessed with cambered heads. To rear set back from cross wing is rebuilt hall range, rendered with 3 light flush frame leaded casements on first and second floors, ground floor brick outshut with an entrance, inner entrance has splayed jambs and is in original through passage position. Large C17 external stack, 4 detached octagonal shafts with moulded bases, rebuilt capping. Further right is a small addition faced in red brick, 2 storey lean-to to rear with 3 light casements. Left return elevation behind canted bay has 3 light leaded casements in stone surrounds, hipped roof, stack in valley. Interior: C17 panelling in gabled wing, 2 moulded stone depressed 4 centred arched fireplaces, 1 with corbelling, 1 with carved spandrels, stop chamfered bearers. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.2, pt.2, 1903, p.197: RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3828635534

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 2, (1903), 197
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 38286 35534

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 03:05:47.

End of official listing