NUMBER 18 (MILL HOUSE), WALL OF MILL DAM EXTENDING TO NORTH AND WHEELPIT AND IRON WATER WHEEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103260

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Statutory Address: NUMBER 18 (MILL HOUSE), WALL OF MILL DAM EXTENDING TO NORTH AND WHEELPIT AND IRON WATER WHEEL, 18, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 18 (MILL HOUSE), WALL OF MILL DAM EXTENDING TO NORTH AND WHEELPIT AND IRON WATER WHEEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 13:44:37.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 18 (MILL HOUSE), WALL OF MILL DAM EXTENDING TO NORTH AND WHEELPIT AND IRON WATER WHEEL, 18, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: St. Paul's Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 18724 21026

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET

12/138 No. 18 (Mill House), 27.5.68 wall of mill dam extending to N and wheelpit and iron water wheel

GV II

Miller's house and dam wall, wheelpit and wheel of now demolished mill, now a private house. C18, 'WC 1736' cut in brick on front, renovated and extended to rear in C19. Attached mill in use up to c.1920, demolished c.1970. Dark red brick with some blue bricks and light red dressings. Steep old red tile roof with moulded wooden eaves cornice. A 2-storeys and attics house facing S with later parallel rear ranges, and short extension to W. Original house has 2-cells, central entrance, end chimneys plan. Stair was in rear wing replaced by larger C19 wing. S front has 3 gabled dormers on roofslope with cusped bargeboards, eaves cornice, 3 windows to 1st floor (flush box sashes with 2/2 panes), plat-band, 6-panel fielded door recessed in doorcase with plain pilasters and full entablature. Canted bay window on right and sash window with flat gauged arch to left. Projecting E gable chimney with plat bands at floor and eaves level on gable. Brick revetment wall holds water on W and brick wheelpit has 2M wide iron waterwheel on thick iron shaft. (Morris (1980)32).

Listing NGR: TL1872421026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162930

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Morris, (1980)

End of official listing