CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, HALLGATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103394.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:01:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, HALLGATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 04758 32937
TA 03 SW
(south side, off)
7/16 Church of Saint Mary
Church. Early C14 nave aisles and transepts, late C14 chancel and south porch, C15 central tower. Ashlar, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 5-bay aisled nave with south porch, single-bay transepts, central tower, 4-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave: high moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. Moulded sill band. Four 3-light pointed windows with curvilinear tracery under hoodmoulds with face stops. Small, similar, window over pointed south door with continuous moulding. West elevation of nave has central pointed door with continuous filleted roll mouldings under continuous hoodmould. To left and right are 3-light pointed windows with curvilinear tracery under hoodmoulds with face stops. Pointed west window of 4 lights with curvilinear tracery of good style under hoodmould with face stops. Buttresses with gablets and crocketed finials. North side of nave has similar fenestration to the south side. Pointed north door of 2 orders: the outer a roll, the inner a hollow chamfer. Moulded imposts on similarly moulded jambs. Crenellated parapets, raised coped gable with cross finial. South porch: raised moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. Pointed door with continuous shallow mouldings under hoodmould. Low, coped, gabled parapet incorporating a niche over the door. Cross finial. South transept: raised moulded plinth with angle buttresses with offsets and gablets. Pointed east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould. Large pointed 5-light south window with Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould. Moulded eaves cornice, raised coped gable, cross finial. North transept: pointed north window of 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery; blocked early C14 pointed window to east wall. Chancel: high moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets and crocketed pinnacles. Four 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, incorporating brattished transoms to the head of the centre lights, all under hoodmoulds with face stops. Crenellated parapet. Similar, simpler, fenestration to north elevation; pointed priest's door, reused from early C14 context, under a hoodmould with grotesque stops. Central tower of 2 stages with angle buttresses and a mid- wall buttress to each face which rises from the sills of the belfry openings. Polygonal stair turret - which is virtually free-standing - to the north-east corner. Belfry openings: paired, pointed, 3-light openings with Perpendicular tracery and brattished transoms. Crenellated parapet: pinnacles with blank traceried panels and pyramid and ball caps. Flagpole. Interior: north and south nave arcades of 5 bays: quatrefoil filleted piers carrying moulded capitals and moulded, pointed arches, the outer order filleted. Hoodmoulds with face stops to north and south sides of each arcade. East bay of each arcade has been strengthened to carry the crossing tower: enlarged piers carry lower pointed arches with plain soffits and filleted rolls to the edges only. The C14 hoodmoulds are visible above. The west crossing arch and the north and south transept arches have been similarly treated. South transept: piscina with triangular head in south wall. 4-centred chancel arch on attached shafts to responds. Chancel: fine brass to Nicholas de Luda (died 1384), a Capuchin friar, who built the chancel: a full-length figure in prayer under a crocketed ogee canopy with frieze above. Small brass of inferior quality in south wall to John Smith and his wife who died 1504. The church contains a large number of C18 wall tablets and memorials chief among which are 2 to Ralph Burton, died 1768 (a lengthy inscription beneath an achievement of arms against a dark obelisk), and William Burton of Hotham died 1764, (an inscription on a plinth to an urn with wreaths and drops of roses beneath a small coat of arms on a dark obelisk) both at the west end of the church. Stained glass: a large amount by Capronnier, and remarkable for the range of colour: the east window of 1875, the west window of 1882, the south transept south window of 1885, the south-east window 1890, the south transept south window of 1885, the south- east window 1890: also by Capronnier are a south chancel window and another in the north aisle. Other windows by Kempe and Tower.
Listing NGR: TA0475832934
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing