Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103401.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jan-2021 at 21:18:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Kirk Ella
National Grid Reference:
TA 02027 29726


KIRK ELLA CHURCH LANE TA 02 NW (north side) 9/38 Church of Saint Andrew 31.1.67 I

Church. Very fine early C13 chancel, west tower 1450-54, nave with aisles and porch and south chancel chapel of c1860. Graduated ashlar to west tower, squared rubble to nave and chancel - the latter partly rendered. Ornamental slate roof. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north chapel. West tower: high plinth, diagonal buttresses. West elevation has pointed door with continuous hollow chamfer beneath a 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. Canopied niche containing a statue of Saint Andrew holding his cross. Angel with shield supporting a mid-wall pilaster buttress flanked by gargoyles over the belfry opening. 3-light 4-centred arched belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed finials. Nave: low plinth, buttresses with offsets. 3 pointed 3-light windows with intersecting cusped tracery and hoodmoulds to east of porch, lancet to west. Four 3-light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery to clerestory. Pointed door in Early English style to south porch. North aisle: 4 reset 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel: low chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets. 6 lancets to south elevation: between the first and the second is a pointed priests' door with continuous narrow chamfer. Triple-stepped lancet under a C19 quatrefoil to east end. Late C13 lancets and priests' door, all reset, to north chancel chapel. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying into responds; early C13 north arcade of 4 pointed double-chamfered arches on round abaci, cylindrical piers, and low moulded bases with spurs. Early C14 south arcade of 4 pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal abaci and piers and triple-stepped bases of unusual design. Early C13 pointed chancel arch on moulded corbels and plain responds. North and south chancel windows have pointed double hollow-chamfered rear arches on a moulded impost band: the triple-stepped east window has slender detached colonettes carrying the rear arches: stilted to the centre window. C19 2-bay north chancel arcade to the Sykes mortuary chapel has pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal abacus and pier. The remains of an early C14 timber screen fills the western arch to the chancel north chapel and also the tower arch: in the north chapel is pointed, moulded, door opening, of 3 filleted orders on nook- shafts with trefoil mouchettes in roundels to the spandrels, rebated to take a door. Remnants of this screen in the tower arch largely consist of reticulated tracery on turned colonnettes over later, plain, panelling. There is a C19 door to the tower chamber. Dodecagonal font, of plain design with a dogtooth band, of c1860. This church is remarkable for the large number of late C18/early C19 monuments; chief among these are the following: 1) Joseph Sykes, died 1805, by John Bacon Junior, north chancel wall: an inscribed marble tablet to plinth: above that a lunette panel containing 3 small allegorical figures and flanked to right by a figure of Commerce holding a caduceus and to the left by bales, tools, and a compass: a full- rigged ship sails away, over the lunette panel, which is crowned by weighing-scales and a sword. Over all this is Sykes himself, emerging from his shattered coffin among rocks while over him an angel blows the Last Trump. This composition is flanked by pilasters capped with burning lamps. 2) 2 early C19 Gothic memorials in the mortuary chapel: each with an inscription beneath a canopy with crocketed gablet and finial; one of 1826, the other of 1827. 3) Monument to Mrs Seaman and her 2 daughters in the tower chamber, erected 1769; 3 portrait medallions hang from carved stone nails over a drape with an inscription, all framed under a segmental pediment on black marble Ionic shafts standing on a plinth supported by consoles. A series of 4 inscribed wall tablets with urns, or portrait medallions, or coats of arms, line the walls of the tower. More such monuments, many with sarcophagi over inscribed tablets, are to be seen in the body of the church. Several are in the Gothic style of c1830. All these reflect the popularity of the area among wealthy Hull merchant families of the period.

Listing NGR: TA0202729726


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00873/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gareth Parry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].