Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103443.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 03:47:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 98140 43579


ETTON MAIN STREET SE 94 SE (north side) 4/40 Church of St Mary 7.2.68 II* Church. C12 west tower, (later raised), c1300 south aisle, remainder rebuilt in Romanesque style 1844-6. Ashlar, slate roofs. 2 stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry, south chapel, and shallow porch to priests' door. West tower:clasping pilaster buttresses. Single round-headed slit window to lower stage; 2 round-headed belfry openings beneath corbel table. Corbelled out parapet above. Round-headed west door of 3 orders on nook-shafts with scallop capitals. Inner order: medallions with floral ornament; central order: beakhead; outer order: stylized beakhead. All under a filleted hoodmould with mask stops in a slight projection under a corbelled-out roof. Nave: chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses. Single round-headed window to west, 2 paired round-headed lights with mid-wall shaft to east, each under a single round-headed chamfered arch. Heavily restored C12 south door to west orders on nook-shafts with scalloped capitals. Beakhead to inner order, chevrons to outer order, all under a filleted hoodmould. Similar fenestration to nave north wall. Chancel: round-headed window with cusped Y-tracery to east; round-headed priests' door, in projection, with nook- shafts and chevron ornament beneath a filleted hoodmould. Pointed east window of 4 lights with tracery in Perpendicular style underhoodmould with facestops. Interior: C12 round-headed tower arch of 4 orders on nook-shafts with scalloped capitals and moulded imposts. Inner order: double roll to soffit and mulberry motif; second order: chevrons; third order: abstract beakhead with medallions, faces, and a rabbit; outer order: chevrons. The west side of the tower arch has a single, square order. Over the arch is a royal coat of arms. South aisle of c1300: shallow bases to quatrefoil filleted piers, with quatrefoil abaci carrying pointed arches of 2 filleted orders. Hoodmould with carved faces to the south side. In the chancel is a fragment of a reclining effigy of Leonora Langdale which has 2 small heraldic shields. Double wall tablet to Mary Delgarno died 1693, Lucy Bachelor 1694, and Elizabeth Delgarno died 1724: all contained in a pilastered surround with a coat of arms beneath a broken pediment. Beneath is a plain wall tablet to Arthur Delgarno "IN SPEM BEATAE RESURRECTIONIS" Nave north wall: a blank quatrefoil with a central, heraldic shield. Inserted into the west wall of the south aisle are 3 figure sculptures of c1190, brought from the ruined church of Saint Peter, Holme-on-the-Wolds: one of Christ with a resurrection banner confronting a demon, the second of Saint Paul with a sword, the third of Saint Peter with a key.

Listing NGR: SE9814043579


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00959/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Philip Hampel. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].