BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL (SECTION FRONTING ONTO LOVETT STREET)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103478

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL (SECTION FRONTING ONTO LOVETT STREET), LOVETT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL (SECTION FRONTING ONTO LOVETT STREET)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:36:20.

Location

Statutory Address: BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL (SECTION FRONTING ONTO LOVETT STREET), LOVETT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TA 29099 09837

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 2909 NW CLEETHORPES LOVETT STREET (west side)

4/12 Barcroft Junior School (section fronting onto Lovett Street)

GV II

Boys' School and former girls' and infants' playsheds, now part of Junior School. 1896 by Croft and Bentley of Grimsby, architects, and Henry Marrows, builder, for Cleethorpes School Board. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar and yellow brick dressings. Welsh slate roof. Arts and Crafts Northern Renaissance style. Main range E-shaped on plan: central cloakroom/office range with classrooms to projecting side wings and rear; wing to rear left containing former cookery room, caretaker's room and playsheds. Central 2-storey 5-bay range with projecting central bay, linked by recessed corridor range to tall single-storey 3-bay gabled wings. Chamfered plinth, moulded ashlar sill stringcourse, 2-course yellow brick flush impost band to both floors. Central range has 2-light window beneath yellow brick segmental arch with 3 fluted and corniced ashlar keystones, flanked by single-light windows beneath keyed segmental brick arches. Main entrance to right has segmental-headed opening to internal porch, with moulded brick jambs below and ashlar upper section with triple-keyed moulded cambered arch, panel over with relief inscription "BOYS", flanked by corbelled pilasters with fluted and panelled shafts, foliate dosserets, fluted brackets, frieze with alternating rosettes and fluted panels, moulded cornice and finials (missing to left). First floor: central bay has large cross window and ornate ashlar relief panel bearing date in oval medallion flanked by scrolled foliage, beneath triple-keyed brick basket arch, the central key supporting a yellow brick pilaster rising to a coped shaped gable with carved finials to centre and each side. Side bays have pairs of windows beneath keyed segmental brick arches, with original leaded stained glass to some upper window panels. Moulded brick eaves cornice. Hipped roof. Recessed flanking corridor sections have sill stringcourses, windows beneath cambered brick arches, moulded brick eaves cornices. Side wings each have a tall central cross window beneath an ashlar relief panel and triple-keyed brick basket arch, flanked by a pair of lower windows beneath keyed segmental brick arches, the central window flanked by corbelled brick pilasters and with a similar pilaster carried by the central keystone, the pilasters rising to a coped shaped gable with carved finials. All windows are recessed, with glazing bars, wooden architraves, moulded mullions and transoms.. Roofs have ventilator ridge tiles and moulded finials. Left and right returns each have a shaped gable to the rear cross range with fenestration and decoration similar to street front, and a tall half dormer beneath a chamfered ashlar lintel and hipped roof. Left return has a keyed segmental-headed doorway. Former cookery room to rear left has gabled north and south fronts, with tripartite window to north, moulded brick raking cornices. Single-storey 6-bay playshed range to left contains a single-bay caretaker's room to right, adjoining the cookery room, and an open section to the left with a central spine wall dividing the former girls' and infants' playshed to the north from the boys' playshed to the south, the north side with a 5-bay arcade of cast iron columns, the south side with a similar 4-bay opening and a walled-in bay to the left with a round-headed doorway. Interior. Classrooms have moulded sill stringcourses, roofs with arch braces carried on fluted stone corbels. Doors in architraves with roundel ornament. Built to accommodate 360 boys. The first school to be built for Cleethorpes School Board (founded 1894), with Girls' and Infants' sections to north, fronting Barcroft Street (qv). A good and unusually complete example of a late C19 Board School, built to a high standard of design and workmanship. E W Hill Barcroft County School, 1956, pp 1-36; original architects' plan in school.

Listing NGR: TA2909909837

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164453

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hill, E W, Barcroft County School, (1956), 1-36

End of official listing