CHURCH OF SAINT HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1103486

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT HELEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103486 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 16:25:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barnoldby Le Beck

National Grid Reference: TA 23551 03311

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 20 SW BARNOLDBY LE BECK CHURCH LANE (north side) 6/8 Church of Saint Helen 4.1.67

GV I Parish church. Late C13 south door; C13-C14 arcades, aisles and tower; C14- C15 nave clerestory and tower parapet. Re-roofed and chancel rebuilt 1839. Restorations of 1892 by Ewan Christian included re-flooring and re-seating nave and aisles, re-roofing south aisle and repairing windows. Tower and porch rebuilt 1901-2 by C Hodgson Fowler of Durham. Ironstone rubble and squared blocks, chalk rubble, flint and cobbles; limestone ashlar dressings, facing to nave clerestory and tower parapet; sandstone re-facing to tower, rendering to north aisle. West tower, 4-bay nave with 3-bay aisles and south porch, 2 bay chancel. 2-stage tower: angle buttresses, restored pointed 2-light traceried west window, C20 single trefoiled light north window. 2-light traceried belfry openings (restored to north and west) with bold hoodmoulds and headstops; string course, angle gargoyles and coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. South aisle: shallow buttresses, pointed 2-light traceried windows with encircled quatrefoils, pointed 3-light east window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould; string course, coped parapet and crocketed angle pinnacles. North aisle: chamfered plinth, buttresses; pointed chamfered door with hoodmould and rustic headstops, pointed 2-light window with curvilinear tracery, square-headed 2- light trefoiled window, C15 triangular-headed 3-light trefoiled window with hoodmould, pointed 3-light traceried east window, triangular-headed 3-light mullioned window, crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave clerestory: triangular- headed 3 light trefoiled windows with hoodmoulds; string-course, parapet and crocketed angle pinnacles. Chancel: buttresses at angles and between bays, those to south-east with carved grotesques; pointed 2-light south window with restored Y-tracery, hoodmould and foliate stops, north lancet, pointed 3-light Y-traceried east window with hoodmould and foliate stops. Porch: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, round-headed outer arch with mouldings dying into jambs, coped gable with re-set medieval grotesque. Round-headed inner arch with plain moulded imposts and hoodmould. Interior. Arcades: 3 late C13 bays, extended to east in later C13 - early C14. Pointed double- chamfered arches, with carved head corbels to south. Keeled quartrefoil north piers with circular abaci and similar inserted pier with quatrefoil abacus. Filleted quatrefoil south piers, one with nailhead moulded abacus, and inserted plain quatrefoil pier. Moulded capitals and bases throughout, more ornate to inserted piers. C14 pointed moulded tower arch of 2 orders with hoodmould and headstops; line of former nave gable above. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order dying into jambs. Pointed piscina to south side of chancel with mutilated bowl. North aisle lean-to roof has moulded tie-beams and butt-purlins with C16 and later carved bosses, one dated 1839; similar bosses re-set on C19 pulpit and on C19 nave and chancel roofs. Worn re-used medieval grave slab at west end of north aisle with indent for small brass of 2 figures. Former Cll - C12 circular font bowl in south aisle. Present font has C13 circular bowl with intersecting arches on later cylindrical column base. C14 stained glass to top section of pointed north aisle window, and to south aisle east window, including crucifixus and figure of St Mary. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 178-9; M J Critchlow, The Barnoldby Booklet, 1985, pp 46-50.

Listing NGR: TA2355503311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164373

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Critchlow, M J , The Barnoldby Booklet, (1985), 46-50
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 178-9

End of official listing