CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1103490
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:21:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brigsley
National Grid Reference:
TA 25467 01813

Details

HUMBERSIDE CLEETHORPES 5263

TA 20 SE BRIGSLEY CHURCH LANE (east side) 7/16 4.1.67 Church of Saint Helen

GV II* Parish church. C11 tower with C14 - C15 windows and parapet, C13 blocked nave arcades, C14 - C15 clerestory, early C14 chancel. Alterations of 1796 included removal of aisles, inserting west door and refitting interior. C19 - C20 restorations, including chancel in 1961, repairs to chancel arch.1985. Tower: ironstone rubble and squared blocks, bands of cobbles, limestone and chalk to upper section of first stage; limestone ashlar dressings, facing to second stage and parapet. Nave: squared ironstone, ironstone and limestone ashlar, cement rendered to lower sections; brick blocking to south, brick to east gable. Chancel: squared ironstone and limestone to east side and lower sections of north and south sides, with squared chalk above. Slate roof to nave, pantiles to chancel. West tower with west entrance, nave with blocked 3-bay south arcade and blocked 2-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: buttresses adjoining nave; inserted square-headed door in rendered surround beneath C20 concrete lintel, pointed traceried 2-light west window with hoodmould and blocked slit window above, moulded stringcourse. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds, moulded stringcourse with angle gargoyles and coped embattled parapet. Nave: buttresses between bays; sections of blocked north arcade visible with re-set pointed C15 window to left with C18 Gothick glazing and leaded lights; three C19 - C20 square- headed wooden 3-light north windows with leaded lights. Two square-headed 2-light clerestory windows. Chancel: chamfered plinth, blocked pointed chamfered south door with head missing; pointed 2-light south windows with hoodmoulds, one with partly restored geometrical tracery, the other with restored reticulated tracery; similar north windows with plain restored tracery. Pointed 3-light east window with partly-restored intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Interior: tall round-headed chamfered tower arch with 2 orders of voussoirs and plain imposts, line of former nave roof visible above. Lower sections of nave arcade piers partly exposed: shafted or quatrefoil centre pier to north, two piers to south with 4 shafts and 4 hollows. C19 - C20 double-chamfered chancel arch with brick and plaster blocking exposed in building work at time of resurvey. Chancel has pointed chamfered piscina to south with corbelled bowl, and tall triangular-headed aumbry or niche to north with mutilated raised chamfered surround. Mid C18 black marble floorslab to Richard Cressy (died 1746) and other members of family, with ornate carved arms in recess. Medieval octagonal font on tall shaft with moulded plinth and base. C18 fittings include: panelled octagonal pulpit with a pair of fluted pilasters supporting an octagonal tester with cornice; communion rails with column-on-vase balusters with square knops, fielded panelling to east wall; half-glazed door to tower arch with Chinese fret glazed panel above two fielded-panels, blocked former tower arch gallery with balustrade similar to altar rails. Painted commandment boards, Royal Arms of 1819 by G Stout of Grimsby. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 198-9.

Listing NGR: TA2546701813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164381
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 198-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/08115/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].