SCHOPWICK PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103588
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
SCHOPWICK PLACE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOPWICK PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103588 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 02:24:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCHOPWICK PLACE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Elstree and Borehamwood
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17899 95425

Details

TQ 1795 ELSTREE HIGH STREET (East side) Elstree

14/162 Schopwick Place 25.2.52

GV II

House. Early C18, extended before 1776. Brick, green slate roof. Double pile. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Steps with curved railings up to central entrance. Doric doorcase, attached columns, triglyph frieze, broken pediment with mutules. Glazing bar sashes, rubbed brick flat arched heads. Plinth, plat band between storeys, stone coped parapet. 3 flat topped dormers. Steeply pitched roof with 4 end stacks. Gable parapets. 2 bay 1-storey flanking wings appear to be later C18 additions, built as links to pavilions, that to left demolished, that to right stables. Plat bands over rubbed brick flat arched headed openings, sashes to right, blind to left. Coped parapets. Cement rendering to return and rear of left wing. Attached to right and further forward are stables, now garage. 2 blind round arches over opening with oculus in gable. Dentilled eaves to right. To rear a 2-storey canted bay to right and an upper storey addition on cast-iron column supports to left. Central entrance with keyed arched head.Interior not inspected. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TQ1789995425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164213
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/12258/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].