GLEBE HOUSE MONTAGUE HOUSE THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103607
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
GLEBE HOUSE, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
MONTAGUE HOUSE, KEMP PLACE
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLEBE HOUSE
MONTAGUE HOUSE
THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103607 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2019 at 00:37:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
GLEBE HOUSE, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
MONTAGUE HOUSE, KEMP PLACE
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 13075 95219

Details

TQ 1395 BUSHEY HIGH STREET (South side) Bushey

13/110 The Old Rectory and 14.9.49 Glebe House (formerly listed as the Rectory)

GV II

House, now 3 dwellings. Early C17 extended early C18. Refronted c.1745, altered and extended 1762, C19 and 1901. Timber frame core, cased in red brick. Some weatherboarding and stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Rambling, much enlarged building, originally 4 bays with 2 cross wings. 2 storeys and attics. Front: central entrance in C19 gabled porch: double doors in pointed arch, decorative leaded lights on stone and brick plinth, sham timber framing in gable, cusped bargeboard. Single casement over porch to left. Ground floor left and first floor 3 light casements. Ground floor right C19 canted bay. Gabled cross wings project slightly at ends, 2-light casements and weatherboarded gables. To far right projecting forward is c.1900 conservatory. Boxed eaves to large steeply pitched roof. Ridge tallest to right of centre, hipped down twice to left, once to right. Large C17 central ridge stack with clustered square shafts with oversailing caps. Left return: ground floor brick, 2-light casement with segmental head. Rendered gable with exposed purlins. Towards rear a lean-to with an entrance leads to later C18 block with gable end to left: 2 ground floor 2-light casements with segmental heads. To rear twin gabled early C18 block of 4 bays behind original range, casements with segmental heads. 2 plat bands. Coped gables. Large cross axial stack at junction with the later C18 block to right. Ground floor 3- light casements with segmental heads, that to centre half blocked, first floor 2-light casements and 1 blind window, ridge stack. The 1901 block, date on rainwater heads, projects to rear left or to right from front. To garden this block has a multi-gabled elevation. To left: 2-storey projecting canted bay, French windows and sashes, hipped roof. To centre: 6-light ground floor casement, first floor oriel with a casement to left. To right: a large gable over a canted bay. Cross axial stacks. Interior: early C18 dining room and staircase. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977: G.Bailey and G.Longman, Bushey:Then and Now vol.6, 1971). Includes Montague House, Kemp Place.

Listing NGR: TQ1307595219

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164158
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bailey, G, Longman, G, Bushey Then and Now, (1971)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].