OFFWELL HOUSE INCLUDING STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104088

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: OFFWELL HOUSE INCLUDING STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFWELL HOUSE INCLUDING STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104088 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:24:41.

Location

Statutory Address: OFFWELL HOUSE INCLUDING STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Offwell

National Grid Reference: SY 19284 99509

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL

3/111 Offwell House including stables - adjoining to north GV II House, former rectory. Built in 1828 according to Hoskins, 1830 according to Pevsner, for the Reverend E. Coppleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St Pauls. Plastered stone rubble, maybe with some brick; stone rubble stacks with probably late C19 cream-coloured brick chimneyshafts; slate roof. Plan: basically an L-plan building. The principal rooms are in the south-facing block. It is double depth. There are 2 front rooms, the left (west) one broken forward a little. The main entrance is on the left side with the entrance hall and main stair behind the left front room. A double depth service wing projects at right angles to rear of centre of the front block. There is a corridor between the 2 rear blocks, and the eastern one with 4 rooms is longer than the western one with 3 rooms. Most of the rooms Are heated by a series of axial stacks. 2 storeys. Exterior: 1:2-window south front. The left-hand 1-window section breaks forward and the corners here have stucco panelled pilasters. The ground floor window is a bay window with 3 front 8-pane sashes and a moulded entablature. Above is a 12-pane sash. To right are 12-pane sashes. 2-window front of 12-pane sashes and ground floor French windows in the right end of the front block. A tented roof verandah on timber trellis posts is round the right section of the front and right end. The left (west) end of the front has a 2-window front of 12-pane sashes and the main doorway is to left. The stuccoed porch has a plain outer arch, panelled pilasters and moulded entablature. The doorway contains part-glazed double doors. The main roof is hipped both ends with deep plain eaves. The service wing is a little lower and both sides include regular but not symmetrical arrangements of 12-pane sashes. Interior: includes a good deal of original joinery and other detail including the large main stair; an open well stair with shaped newel posts with pendants, open string and turned balusters. At the rear, the north end, is a service courtyard enclosed by a tall plastered wall and including various service buildings. On the north side is the stable and coach house which has a large central ellipitcal arch and its roof (hipped each end) is surmounted by a small dovecote with wrougnt iron weather vane. The courtyard also includes a small game larder insulated by a double roof. This was built the residence of Bishop Copleston who was responsible for much building work in the parish in the early C19. Sources: N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, South Devon, (1952) p. 168 W. G. Hoskins, Devon (1952) p. 446.

Listing NGR: SY1928499509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 88781

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 168
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)

End of official listing