This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROSE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROSE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1104093

Location

ROSE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Widworthy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 88793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 29 NW OFFWELL WILMINGTON 4/121 Rose Farmhouse (formerly listed as - Rose Cottage and Lilac Cottage) 22.2.55 GV II

Farmhouse. Early - mid C16 with major later C16 and early C17 improvements (there was once a date plaque of 1620); major early - mid C19 refurbishment. Plastered local stone and flint rubble, probably with some cob; stone rubble stacks, the hall stack has a plastered chimneyshaft and it may still include the date plaque reported in the previous listing; the other one is topped with C19 brick; thatch roof, part has been replaced with asbestos slate. Plan and development: formerly a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing east- north-east, say east. Downhill at the left (south) end, next to the road, is a small unheated inner room; probably a dairy or buttery originally. Next to it the hall has an axial stack backing onto a wide passage. Uphill at the right (north) end is a service end parlour with a gable-end stack. In fact the present layout is essentially the result of an early C17 refurbishment (maybe of 1620). Before that the house was smaller and occupied only the passage-hall-inner room section. Originally this section was open to the roof from end to end and heated by an open hearth fire. It seems likely that the inner room end was floored over in the mid C16. The hall stack is late C16 or early C17 and the hall was floored over in the early C17. At about the same time the parlour was added and the hall down-graded to a kitchen. The parlour end was refurbished and reroofed in the early or mid C19, probably when the farmhouse was divided into cottages. They were reunited to make a single house in the C20 and the passage front doorway was blocked. 2 storeys. Exterior: irregular 2-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars. The passage front doorway was a little left of centre and is now blocked by a third ground floor window and the blocking is recessed from the main front. Near the left end is an inserted doorway containing a part-glazed C20 door. The roof is half-hipped to left and gable-ended to right stepping up from the thatch over the passage to the asbestos slate section over the parlour end. At the back the hall bay breaks forward from the main block. The passage rear doorway contains a C20 door and most of the windows are C20 although the ground floor parlour window is an early C17 Beerstone 3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions and hoodmould. A C19 store outshot behind the inner room contains a reset C17 oak window with chamfered mullions. Interior: the former hall has a large Beerstone ashlar fireplace with a chamfered oak lintel and contains an oven. The half beam here is chamfered with pyramid stops. The crosswall between hall and inner room is oak large framing. The roof above this original section is early-mid C16. It is 2 bays. The base of the truss is plastered over but its shape indicates a (jointed) cruck. In the solid wall between passage and parlour is a hip cruck indicating that this was the end of the original house. This original roof is smoke-blackened from the original open hearth fire. The parlour extension was mostly rebuilt in the C19 although the roughly chamfered crossbeam and the fireplace with plain oak lintel may be early C17.

Listing NGR: SY2124999941

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 21249 99941

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104093 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 07:12:43.

End of official listing