THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104105

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 16:55:58.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Widworthy

National Grid Reference: SY 21597 99254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 29 NW WIDWORTHY WIDWORTHY

4/152 The Old Rectory - 22.2.55 GV II

House, former rectory. Circa 1840 - 50, parts of the rear service block may have an earlier core. Plastered local stone and flint rubble (the plaster is lightly incised as ashlar); brick or stone rubble stacks with stone rubble and Beerstone chimneyshafts and Tudor-style terracotta chimneypots; slate roof with fleur-de-lys shaped crested ridge tiles. Plan: L-plan house. The main block faces east-north-east, say east, and it has a double depth plan. The 3 front rooms are the principal rooms; the centre one is heated by an axial stack to right and both end rooms have gable-end stacks. The main entrance is in the left (north) end into the stair hall. The rest of the rear block is service rooms. A kitchen block projects at right angles to rear of the right (south) end. It has an axial stack. Behind the kitchen is a passage and dairy/buttery. House is 2 storeys with a service courtyard containing stables adjoining the right (south) end. Tudor Gothic style. Exterior: symmetrical gabled 3-window front. The centre ground floor window is a French window with glazing bars including a top tier of Tudor arch glazing bars and it has a hoodmould. It is flanked by canted bay windows with Tudor arch lights, sunken spandrels, hollow-chamfered timber mullions and original glazing bars. The 3 first floor windows have ovolo-moulded mullions and each light contains a 2-pane sash. Each has a hoodmould and above is a gable with ornate bargeboards and finials. The roof is gable-ended, also with shaped bargeboards with finials. The main doorway in the left (north) end. It is a Tudor arch containing a C20 door. It has a Tudor-style doorframe, flanking clustered pilasters and gabled hoodmould. The rear of the main block includes a less regular arrangement of windows, some in Tudor style. The service wing contains C19 and C20 casements and at first floor level on the outer (south) side, 2 16-pane sashes with small iron balconies. Interior: not inspected but is said to contain a great deal of original joinery and other detail.

Listing NGR: SY2159799254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 88825

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing