NUMBERS 2 TO 34 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104289
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 2 TO 34 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, 2-34, EVESHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 2 TO 34 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 09:08:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 2 TO 34 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, 2-34, EVESHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cheltenham (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 95219 22961

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9523SW EVESHAM ROAD 630-1/6/310 (West side) 12/03/55 Nos.2-34 (Even) and attached area railings

GV II

Terrace of 17 houses, now houses, flats and hotel, and attached area railings (except to No.16). 1825-36. Built and completed to designs of William Jay. PLAN: entrances to right throughout. Nos 4 and 6, No.14 and No.22 break forwards. EXTERIOR: brick with stucco facades and slate roof, brick and stucco party-wall stacks; iron balconies, verandahs, window guards and railings. 3 storeys on basements, 17 x 3 first-floor windows; No.30 has attic. Stucco detailing includes ground- and first-floor plat bands, moulded second-floor band, full-height Tuscan pilasters between windows to No.2, Ionic to No.4, pilaster strips to No.6; stepped recessed panel to central windows of No 14; frieze, cornice and blocking course. Mainly 6/6 sashes (where original), some 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes, all in plain reveals, those to ground and second floors have sills. Roof dormer (to No.30) has casement window. Entrances: flights of steps (roll-edged where original) to 4- and 6-fielded-panel doors with sidelights and overlights. End returns have raised parapets, ramped upwards. Rear: many 6/6 sashes. Right return has blind openings. Right return has blind openings. INTERIOR: retain original joinery including panelled shutters; photographs taken in 1991 show No.12 as having embellished acanthus cornice and foliate ceiling frieze, and egg-and-dart pelmet, shutters; otherwise not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings (missing to No.16) with alternate stick and ogeed trefoil heads and to sides of steps and across fronts with anthemions to stanchions except to Nos 4 and 16. First-floor continuous verandahs to Nos 2, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 24 have Carron Company double-heart-and-anthemion motif balustrades and scrolled uprights and openwork friezes; similar individual first-floor window balconies to Nos 4, 6, 8, 20, 28 and 32; and similar continuous first-floor balconies to Nos 30 and 34. No.8 has window guards with anthemion motif. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42. (Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 6).









Listing NGR: SO9521922961

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474605
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Blake, S, Pittville 1824-1860, (1988), 6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03011/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Ross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].