This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VULCAN BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 21) AND ATTACHED BOLLARDS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VULCAN BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 21) AND ATTACHED BOLLARDS

List entry Number: 1104329

Location

VULCAN BLOCK (BUILDING NUMBER 21) AND ATTACHED BOLLARDS, GUNWHARF ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Portsmouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 474696

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 6399 PORTSMOUTH GUNWHARF ROAD (West side} 774-1/12/22 HMS Vernon Vulcan Block 25.09.1972 (Building No. 21) and attached bollards

GV II

Ordnance storehouse with stabling; disused. 1811-14 (dated 1814}, later alterations, almost certainly by Major-General Evelegh, for the Ordnance Board. Patterned red brick with grey headers in Flemish bond with Portland dressings and gauged red brick arches to openings. Hipped slate roof with flat roofed dormers (boarded up). Late Georgian style. PLAN: large symmetrical U-block plan with spine walls, the north wing demolished after c1940 wartime bomb damage. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic. 12-bay east principal elevation with 11-bay south wing to rear. Tooled ashlar plinth and plat band, rendered stepped dentilled eaves below ashlar course and rendered brick blocking course. Windows have 8/8-pane sashes in reveals, stone sills and flat arches. Large entrances have double boarded doors in stepped round-arched surrounds flanked by bollards formed by disused cannon barrels set on end (probably early-mid C19, set in present position mid-late C19). East elevation: originally symmetrical1 5 bays, the 3 right hand bays (end of former north wing) now gone. 5-bay centre 1:3:1 breaks forward twice, has grand entrance to archway into rear courtyard in ashlar architrave with rusticated spandrels and outer Tuscan architrave. At left, end of wing forms 3-bay, pedimented shallow projection with lunette in tympanum. Main entrance has plaque above (inscribed 'Major-General Fisher, Commanding Royal Engineers 1814') and leads into a wide through-passage, off which are wide round-arched entrances with double doors and a trap-door in the ceiling set above a girder with running pulley. The west (courtyard) elevation is the same, including,the grand entrance (now blocked). South wing symmetrical; bays arranged 1:3:3:3:1, the centre piece projecting below pediment with a lunette in tympanum, and round-arched doorway in matching recess to double doors; the end bays narrow, projecting, and having a round-arched recess filled with grey headers on each floor. The west elevation is 3 bays below pediment, central entrance and lunette in tympanum. At south-east corner of building is cannon barrel bollard. INTERIOR: ground-floor storage bays flanking axial spine walls it1$erted in two phases between 1892 and 1893; tall cast-iron columns with cast mid supports to inner shelf, eyes for attaching divisions, and spreaders to large scantling first-floor wooden beams; axial line of first-floor posts supporting cross beams; wide-span roof, with iron strapping to a post-and-pad form surmounted by king posts. Cast-iron fire doors with panels between separate sections; stick-baluster stair at angle between wings. HISTORY: armaments and Ordnance stores were kept here while ships were in Ordinary at Portsmouth dockyard. The old Gun Wharf Yard was extended to New Gun Wharf in the 1770s, of which this forms the centrepiece. As such it is part of the very significant historic dockyard complex. It was also, at its completion, one of the largest storehouses owned by the Board of Ordnance after that at Chatham. This patterned brick work is found at other local Ordnance Board buildings of the time such as Priddy's Hard and Milldam Barracks (qqv). (Sources: Coad JG: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 258 ; Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 54; PSA drawings in National Monuments Record, Swindon, cover 1890s phase).



Listing NGR: SU6610802158

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of H M Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850, (1981), 54
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 258

National Grid Reference: SZ 63103 99751

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104329 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 10:04:13.

End of official listing