This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL (ST MARYS MISSION)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL (ST MARYS MISSION)

List entry Number: 1104365

Location

ST MARYS CEMETERY CHAPEL (ST MARYS MISSION), HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 474793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9422NW HIGH STREET 630-1/8/416 (South West side) 12/03/55 St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (St Mary's Mission)

GV II

Burial chapel, now gymnasium. 1831 with later addition to right. Architect: C Paul of Rowland Paul and Sons, Cheltenham. Builders George Wood and Thomas Newton. Cost ยป600. Ashlar over brick with concealed roof and right end brick stack. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: single tall storey, with single low-storey range to right. Central panelled door with slightly 'battered' architrave with sloping sides, and projecting porch with 2 fluted Doric columns in antis. Frieze with wreaths; continuous cornice and blocking course. Rear facade has end pilasters central entrance in breakforward between round-arched multi-paned windows with radial glazing to heads in plain reveals and with architrave and sills. Frieze, cornice and blocking course. INTERIOR: retains original features: deep coving and dado rail. reputed to have vaulted brick cellars to original part. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the chapel to the 'New Burying Ground' when the St Mary's Parish Churchyard became too crowded. (Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 21-2; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 91-92).





Listing NGR: SO9429622889

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Blake, S , Cheltenhams Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883, (1979), 21-22
Rowe, G, Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850-196991-92

National Grid Reference: SO 94300 22887

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 02:47:02.

End of official listing