- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- GALSHAM FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104474.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 22:49:42.
- Statutory Address:
- GALSHAM FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 24503 22697
SS 22 SW
3/130 Galsham Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1682 and 1717 but almost certainly with earlier origins and with later C18 addition. Plastered rubble walls, possibly incorporating some cob. Main range and inner front wing have hipped slate roofs with old crested ridge tiles, right-hand wing is gable-ended. Very large rubble axial stack with dripcourses to main range. Brick stack at right-hand side of inner wing and one at rear gable of outer wing. Plan: complex plan and development. Basically an L-shaped plan of which the inner wing running north-south is probably the earlier with features which appear to date to the mid C17. However it has a datestone of 1682 on the outside and although this could refer to a remodelling it is possible that it was built in an archaic style. In 1717 a new range was added at right angles to the north-west of the older house, built very much in the new double depth style of the period but incorporating the older part in its plan to give it a central stairhall with 2 principal rooms to the left and one room from the older range to the right. The entrance was actually into tne corner of the older wing which was taken into the new stairhall with a heated room at the front of the wing. At the outer side of this wing another was built on parallel to it probably later in the C18. It may be that the house was once larger and has been truncated as its internal features and style suggest a house of some importance. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical L-shaped front with larger range with deep hipped roof to the left. It is 2 windows wide with replaced 12-pane sashes on each floor. Projecting from its right end is a wing with a datestone below the eaves of 1682. To the left on its 1st floor is an early C19 12-pane sash. In the angle with the main range is a lean-to C19 or early 020 porch which has an early C18 2-panel door behind which has had planks applied to the front. At the end of the wing is a replaced 12-pane sash on the 1st floor and paired early C19 12-pane sashes below. The parallel wing to its right projects slightly with a single storey outbuilding extending from the front. Rear elevation has datestone of 1717 with the initials C.V. (Charles Velly) to right of centre. 12-pane early C19 sash to right with larger contemporary 12-pane stair window to its left. Below it is a horizontal sliding late C18/early C19 18-pane sash. 2-light C19 casement to the right. 2 blocked window openings to the left. The left-hand rear elevation has a C17 3-light chamfered stone mullion window on the ground floor to the right. C19 paired 15-pane sashes above and to the left. C19 panelled door below to right of centre. Later wing extends to left-hand end projecting forward. Interior: the early C18 interior of the 1717 range is fairly complete with some high quality features. Several 2-panel doors survive, some bolection moulded. Good dog-leg staircase with square panelled newels, turned and moulded balusters and deep moulded handrail. At the bottom is a dog gate of open fretwork design with curved top which reputedly came from Hartland Abbey (q.v). On the 1st floor is a large landing and it is evident from the 2 panel doors and cyma recta moulded plaster cornice that the early C18 room arrangement is preserved. The rear left-hand 1st floor room has a wooden bolection-moulded chimneypiece and built-in cupboard with 3 fielded panelled doors. The room in front has an C18 chimneypiece with moulded surround and dentilled cornice. In the 1682 wing on the 1st floor is a doorframe and door of mid C17 type with ovolo-moulded frame and very fine quality door with panel frame of moulded stiles muntins and rails on one side, chamfered and stopped rails and stiles on the reverse. In the room behind this scratched on the window glass are the names John Shelley - dated either 1728 or 1798 and another date 1746. Roof: straight principals with collars halved on with notched lap joints, the apex halved with a form of yoke nailed on at the front and back; trenched purlins. This is a relatively unusual survival in North Devon of a dated late C17 - early C18 house which preserves numerous features of that period and may have others concealed; it also retains a very traditional appearance. Galsham is on an early site having been given by Geoffrey de Dinant to Hartland Abbey and was for many years the property of the Velly family. The C.V. probably refers to Charles Velly born 1653. Source: Hartland and West Country Chronicle - Notes of the Past - R Perse Chope : Lyson's Account of Hartland, July 1911 and The Velly Family, September 1912
Listing NGR: SS2450322697
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Hartland and West Country Chronicle' in July, (1911)
'Hartland and West Country Chronicle' in September, (1912)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing