This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH (CONSECRATION UNKNOWN)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH (CONSECRATION UNKNOWN)

List entry Number: 1104560

Location

CHURCH (CONSECRATION UNKNOWN)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Langtree

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 90993

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGTREE LANGTREE SS 41 NE 2/19 Church (Consecration unknown) - 4.10.60 GV II* Parish Church. C15 to early C16, restored in 1865 - 6. Stone rubble walls. Gable- ended slate roof. Plan: nave, long chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The nave and tower may be pre-Perpendicular but exhibit features mostly dating only to the C15. The north aisle has late C15/early C16 windows but these may date from a remodelling rather than rebuilding of the church. The restoration of 1865 - 6 included the opening up of the tower arch, reseating and rebuilding of the south chancel wall. C19 vestry added to north of chancel. Exterior: 3-stage castellated west tower with short square pinnacles and corner buttresses upto top of 1st stage. Pentagonal stair turret on south side. Late C19 inserted west doorway with shouldered head. Restored 3-light Perpendicular west window. Blocked 2-light belfry opening. North aisle has blocked 2-centred arched doorway at its west end. North aisle has blocked 2-centre arched doorway at its west end. On its north face are 5 early C16 3-light stone mullion windows in relatively original state. The 2 westernmost windows and that to the east have 2- centred lights whereas the other 2 windows have cinquefoil lights - all have square hoodmoulds. Perpendicular east window to aisle. Completely restored 4-light east window in Decorated style. South wall of chancel also has 2 C19 windows with cinquefoil heads. Restored Tudor arched priest's door between them. Nave has 3- light partly restored early C16 window with 4-centred treads towards west end and C19 4-light C15 style mullion window towards east end. Gabled south porch with chamfered round-arched rubble doorway and slate sundial in gable dated 1641. Interior: possibly C14 red sandstone south doorway with 2-centred head and rebated hollow chamfer. 6-bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with moulded cup capitals and 4-centred arches with hollow and roll moulding. Very tall similar 2-centred tower arch which fits awkwardly to the wall either side suggesting that some rebuilding has taken place here. The Old wagon roofs survive with simply moulded and chamfered ribs, carved bosses and wall-plate, crenellated to the nave. Good 5-sided late C17 pulpit richly carved with festoons and angel heads, acanthus leaves in frieze and bolection moulded panels. C15 octagonal granite font with panels carved in quatrefoils, crosses and other religious emblems. Royal Coat of Arms on north wall is, unusually in plaster relief with angel head in pediment above, columns either side with stiff leaf capitals surmounted by obelisks which have strapwork motifs in their pedestals - a curiously archaic design for George I - whose arms are depicted - and George II whose name is recorded. Good pedimented wall memorial of 1688 in north aisle to Abraham Bamfield Gent incorporating marble panel with column either side. There are several C18 floor memorials at the east end of the nave. The 2 sanctuary chairs incorporate probably French C17 carved panels depicting Christ bearing the cross and the descent from the cross. The altar also has a carved wooden panel depicting Christ with the disciples at Emmaus. Sources: White's Director 1878: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Torrington

Listing NGR: SS4510915575

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1878)

National Grid Reference: SS 45109 15575

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 03:52:25.

End of official listing