CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1104887
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NEWGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NEWGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ2454564412

Details

NZ 2664 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NEWGATE STREET (west side) 20/416 14/6/54 Church of St. Andrew G.V. I Parish church. C12 chancel arch and lower part of tower and arcades; C13 chancel and upper part of tower, and north transept; C14 north chapel. Early C14 south-west porch refronted 1726. C19 restorations and addition of south transept. Sandstone of varying courses and blocks with ashlar dressings; Roof of Welsh slate with stone-flagged roof to south-east porch. West tower; aisled nave with south porch; transepts; chancel with north chapel and vestry, south porch. 3-stage tower with massive south-west buttress, has irregular fenestration in first and second stages under corbel table; 2-light Decorated windows in third stage under battlemented parapet; 2-centred-arched west door. South porch has round-headed door in hollow- chamfered reveals in a corniced projecting panel with consoles to panel above; channelled rustication, cornice and segmental pediment to porch. 4-light elliptical- headed aisle windows 1866 by Fowler; Perpendicular clerestory windows under roll- moulded parapet. North transept has stepped lancets, as has the south chancel wall. Neo-Norman south transept. Chancel porch has head-stopped dripmould over triple- moulded arch. Large east window rebuilt 1866 copying original. Interior: coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; low-pitched roof has short king posts with bosses repainted in C19. High chancel arch has zig-zag moulding in 2 orders on pilasters and shafts; 4-bay arcades with round piers and octagonal capitals to plain recessed round arches; higher arches to transepts, that at north pointed. Double-chamfered tower arch and half-octagonal pilasters and capitals. Tower baptistry has restored font of pedestal and bowl type, with tall Decorated cover. Royal Arms of 1817-37 over high arch of west door. C20 north vestry and hall extension.

Listing NGR: NZ2454564412

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304741
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15671/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].