UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL ADJOINING TO EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104938

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1989

Statutory Address: UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL ADJOINING TO EAST, BODMIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL ADJOINING TO EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:27:32.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL ADJOINING TO EAST, BODMIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Holsworthy

National Grid Reference: SS 34217 03696

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

S3403 HOLSWORTHY CP BODMIN STREET (North side)

16/30 United Methodist Church and Church Hall adjoining to East

GV II

Methodist Church and Church Hall. Stated to be 1909-10 an site of earlier chapel but the same appearance as the 1876 chapel with added tower. Architect Samuel Parsons, builders Messrs Parsons and Glover of Holsworthy. Early English style. Bath stone with Plymouth limestone dressings to facade, roughcast returns, slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, crocketed finials flanking gable ends on facade. Plan: 4-bay apsidal basilica with gallery over entrance (south), vastry in south-west corner, stairs to gallery via south-east tower and church hall abutting to east. Gabled facade with 5- light window over gabled porch inscribed 'United Methodist Church 1910', double doors, flanked by 2-light windows under continuous hoodmoulds, shallow raking buttresses, 2- light window at base of 2-stage octagonal crenellated tower with spire, louvred bell openings and clock. Depressed pointed arch opening to alley between church and hall. Gable fronted hall, 2-light window over gabled porch flanked by 2-light windows. Interior of church rendered. Fine serpentine-curve gallery with pierced decorative wooden panels carried on cast iron columns with decorative capitals. 5-bay hammer-beam roof with pierced braces, corbels of green marble, metal ties, 4 trusses converging at apsial end, ceiled and boarded roof. Good collection of fittings, pitch pine pulpit, communion table and benches. Organ with stencilled pipes, built 1887 and subsequently enlarged. Stained glass: 2 windows said to have been removed from the Wesleyan chapel in chapel Street, Holsworthy, (not included in this list) others filled pastel-coloured glass of Art Nouveau inspiration, internal doors part-glazed with coloured glass. Hall: king-post roof, otherwise featureless. A good example of an early C20 Methodist church with a large and enthusiastic community. (Anon, 1910-1960 The Methodist Church Holsworthy Golden Jubilee Souvenir Brochure, 1960.)

Listing NGR: SS3421703696

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91933

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Methodist Church Holsworthy Golden Jubilee Souvenir Brochure, (1960)

End of official listing