K6 Telephone Kiosk in The Square, Merton
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk in The Square, Merton
List entry Number: 1104966
The Square, Merton, Torridge, Devon
K6 telephone kiosk standing to the east of the bus shelter on the north-east side of The Square.
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 30-Mar-1992
Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-2011
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
A K6 telephone kiosk, to Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's 1935 design, which stands at the north-east corner of The Square, Merton, Devon.
Reasons for Designation
The K6 telephone kiosk in The Square, Merton, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason: * Group value: The telephone kiosk has a strong visual relationship with a number of other listed buildings, grouped around the square
The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with a new kiosk type. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
The kiosk was listed in 1992, when it stood in the garden of the post office, towards the north-east end of the village. The post office has since closed and the building is now a private residence, whilst the telephone kiosk has been relocated to a position just off the main road, at the north side of a square which lies in front of the churchyard towards the south-west end of the village. The telephone kiosk now stands next to a bus shelter, occupying a recess in the adjacent wall.
The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. The example under consideration is in a good state of intactness; the display signs above the door are still clear, and the kiosk retains its glass windows.
National Grid Reference: SS5286212240
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104966 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 04:02:06.
End of official listing