This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD POST HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD POST HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1104995

Location

THE OLD POST HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Giles in the Wood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91865

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD SS 53 18 IN THE WOOD 18/254 The Old Post House including front - railings

GV II

House, forms Post Office and postmaster's house. Dated 1877 built for the Honourable Mark George Kerr Rolle. Brown-coloured snecked local stone with decorative use of cream and red brick (e.g. quoins of alternate cream and red brick); stone stacks with brick chimneyshafts; slate roof. Plan: L-plan house. The front block faces east and has a 2-room plan with central entrance hall. The left room has a rear lateral stack and its front is canted back at 45 degrees. 1-room plan block projects to rear of the left end and has a projecting gable-end stack. 2 storeys. Exterior: Regular but not symmetrical 1:2 - window front. The windows have pointed segmental arches of cream brick and sides of alternate cream and red brick quoins. They contain original timber mullion-and-transom windows with glazing bars. The first floor windows are gabled half dormers. Front doorway has a similar pointed segmental arch and now contains a C20 panelled door. Cream brick platband at first floor level. The canted bay is gabled and contains a sandstone plaque at the top carved with Rolle arms and dated 1877. The gable has open shaped bargeboards and there are similar versions to the half dormers. The roof of both blocks are gable- ended. Interior: not inspected. A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclsoed by original cast iron railings; plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gate in the same style. This house along with the Church of St Giles (q.v.) and most of the other houses in the village were rebuilt by the Honourable Mark George Kerr Rolle shortly after the rebuilding of Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now ruined.

Listing NGR: SS5327719008

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 53395 18936

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 05:44:02.

End of official listing