OWLACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND SHORT SECTION OF ADJOINING FRONT GARDEN WAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105007
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
OWLACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND SHORT SECTION OF ADJOINING FRONT GARDEN WAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of OWLACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND SHORT SECTION OF ADJOINING FRONT GARDEN WAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105007 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 03:43:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
OWLACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND SHORT SECTION OF ADJOINING FRONT GARDEN WAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Roborough
National Grid Reference:
SS 57471 16369

Details

ROBOROUGH SS 51 NE 8/174 Owlacombe Farmhouse and short - section of adjoining front garden wall

II

Farmhouse now divided. Late C15 or early C16, altered in the early C17. Further altered and probably enlarged in the mid C19. Minor late C19 or early C20 addition. Rendered cob with rendered mid C19 addition (probably over stone rubble). Gable- ended C20 asbestos-slate roof (replacing C19 Welsh slates). Circa 1900 additions of squared snecked stone with red brick dressings and gable-ended slate roof. Rendered and later stacks. Plan and development: Circa 1500 three-room and through-passage plan, facing north- east (ground falls to left). Central hall with external lateral stack to front, through passage and former service room to right and 2 rooms to the left with axial stack between hall and first room and integral end stack to left-hand room. The hall was formerly open to the roof, and the first floor and the stack were probably inserted in the early C17. Porch to through passage with winder staircase to the right, probably also a C17 addition. Two rooms to left of hall probably a mid C19 adition but possibly an enlargement of a c.1500 or later inner room. Entrance hall immediately to left of hall with a mid C19 straight flight staircase along the rear wall and an entrance to the front. The service room at the right-hand end of the house had been divided longitudinally , probably a C19 alteration, the rear part a dairy. The rear doorway of the through passage was probably blocked in the C19 too. Kitchen wing projecting at right angles to rear of the left-hand end with an integral later stack, probably a mid C19 addition but possibly incorporating earlier fabric. House divided in the late C20 and a kitchen formed from part of the entrance hall to the left of the hall. Circa 1900 outbuilding adjoining at the right angles to the rear of the right-hand end. Two storeys with one-storey addition. Exterior: Hall stack to front has chamfered offsets and a tapered square shaft with a set back top stage. Later second flue to left. Asymmetrically-fenestrated front; 4 windows to first floor and 3 to ground floor, mostly C19 two-light small-paned wooden casement, some replaced by C20 plate-glass casements. Porch to right with catslide roof and depressed-arched opening. The doorway has a c.1500 continuously- chamfered round-arched pegged wooden frame with broach stops (repaired in the C19) and a C19 six-panelled door (lower 3 panels beaded flush and upper 3 recessed). Small C19 two-light wooden casement to right of porch archway, lighting staircase. Doorway between the first and second windows from left with a C20 glazed door and a C19 beaded wooden frame. Two ground-floor C20 small-paned 2-light wooden casements in the left-hand gable end (in mid C19 openings). Two large gabled semi dormers to the side of the rear wing, and C19 two- and 3-light wooden casements in the gable end. Outbuilding at the rear of the right-hand end has a segmental-headed 2-light wooden casement to the right and a segmental-headed plank door to the left. Short section of stone rubble garden wall adjoining right-hand front corner of house, with gateway in the right-hand side and gateway opposite. Interior: Through passage flanked by stud partitions and with C19 matchboarded dado. Probably C17 oak winder stair in projection to right of porch. Hall with three C17 chamfered cross beams. Mid C19 staircase to left of hall with closed string, diagonally-set stick balusters and turned foot newel. Mid C19 six-panelled doors in left-hand end of house. End windows in left-hand ground-floor end rooms have jambs which continue to floor level. Most of roof rebuilt in the mid to late C19. One remaining c.1500 smoke-blackened truss, over the centre of the hall, with straight principals (apparently) and mortice and tenoned cambered collar. The late Medieval roof also had threaded purlins and a diagonally-set ridge-piece, set in a slot in the mortice and tenoned apex. Owlacombe is a manor mentioned in Domesday.

Listing NGR: SS5747116369

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91790
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11793/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].