- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MILL COTTAGE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105065 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:58:25.
- Statutory Address:
- MILL COTTAGE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 54327 14491
SS 51 SW
11/14 Mill Cottage
House. Early C16, altered c.1600 and probably partly rebuilt in the mid C17. Rendered cob with gable-ended thatched roof. Stone axial stack off-centre to left and rendered end stack to left with brick top stage. Plan and development: Three-room and through-or cross-passage plan, sited at right angles to road (facing south-west). Late Medieval open hall, consisting of central hall with inner room to right (present kitchen) and former passage and service room (both since rebuilt) to left. Formerly open to the roof, probably continuously from end to end, with rooms divided by low partitions. Early C17 (c.1600) alterations included insertion of the first floor (probably in one phase) and the insertion of the stack in the hall, backing on to the former passage. Integral end stack inserted in former inner room at some time too (now truncated). Lower (left-hand) end (passage and service room) probably rebuilt in the mid C17 with external end stack to left and square stair projection to rear with winder stair (front entrance still in original position after rebuilding but does not lead into a passage). Square projection to rear of hall, possibly former stair turret before lower end was rebuilt (alternatively possibly a former lateral stack). Internal alterations at the upper end (probably C19 or C20) to form small room (possibly storeroom) between hall and inner room (space probably taken from formerly larger hall). Large late C20 lean-to glazed porch. An alternative interpretation of the house would be with the passage and service room the right of the hall (see narrow room between hall and kitchen, possibly former passage). However, it would be unusual for a stack to be inserted at the upper end of a hall, unless the Medieval house had no inner room (2 rooms and passage only) and the left-hand end room was built new in the C17. This might explain the probable earlier stair projection to the rear of the hall. Nevertheless the interpretation of the house with the service end to left is the most convincing as it is unlikely that a hall and service end would be floored (c.1600) with identical high-quality chamfered cross beams. The left-hand end wall in unblackened in the roofspace. If the house did formerly consist of only the hall and the right- hand room this wall would probably display some evidence of smoke blackening (unless it was rebuilt when the stack was inserted). Two storeys. Exterior: Asymmetrically-fenestrated front, with 3 windows to first floor and 5 to ground floor; mostly mid to late C20 two-light wooden casements in old openings. Late C20 three-light wooden casement to kitchen at right, either inserted or in widened earlier opening, and small C20 one-light casement to its left. Doorway between first and second windows from left with C20 half-glazed door and C20 wooden glazed porch. Interior: Three c.1600 deep-chamfered cross beams with ogee stops, to hall and former inner room (now kitchen). Hall has central beam resting on stone corbel in front wall and half beam to right-hand end (incorporated in wall between inner room and small storeroom). Open stone fireplace in hall of c.1600 has chamfered wooden lintel with ogee stops. Left-hand ground-floor room has C17 chamfered cross beam with ogee stops, and old fireplace in left-hand wall. Full-height cob wall between hall and left-hand end rising into roofspace. Smoke-blackened late Medieval roof over hall and right-hand end (former inner room). Two trusses consisting of large chamfered principal rafters with pegged mortice and tenoned apices and chamfered notched halved lapped collars. Threaded or butt purlins and diagonally-set ridge-piece, sawn off at left-hand end (probably when stack inserted). Also blackened rafters (pegged at apices) and battens. Underside of thatch unblackened. Cob partition wall at left-hand end is unblackened. C17 roof over left-hand end room with pegged truss consisting of principal rafters and collar.
Listing NGR: SS5432714491
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing