CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1105113
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 13:21:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Abbots Bickington
National Grid Reference:
SS 38476 13261

Details

ABBOTS BICKINGTON SS 31 SE

2/1 Church of St James 14.2.58

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1300 restored in 1868. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan: nave and chancel, south transept and west tower - all probably of the same date, north porch may be slightly later. Restored and reseated in 1863. Exterior: low west tower with dwarf pyramidal roof, battlemented without pinnacles. No buttresses or west doorway. Small pointed belfry openings to north and south. 2 windows on south side - one to nave and one to transept - 2 light with simple Decorated tracery. Small C15 East window which has 2 cinquefoiled lights. North and south chancel walls have simple trefoiled lancets of circa 1300 and the nave has a similar C19 window on its north wall. Gabled north porch with chamfered 2- centred arch doorway. Inside: C14 south doorway chamfered with 4-centre arched C17 or C18 panelled door. Chancel wallsare plastered, otherwise the internal walls are rendered. There is no chancel or tower arch and an unmoulded plastered pointed arch to transept. Over the chancel is the old wagon roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Otherwise a C19 arch-braced and crown post-roof. The chancel floor has medieval Barnstaple tiles some with fleur-de-lys motif. In south chancel wall is original piscina with trefoiled head. The simple fittings are completely C19. Good wall memorial in north-east corner of chancel to Thomas Pollard who died 1710; nowy headed slate plaque with Corinthian column either side surmounted by scrolled pediment with armorial shield at centre and large figure of kneeling angel to left. Swags of flowers and fruit at base. East windows is made up of fragmented piece of medieval glass depicting various saints and Christ's crucifixion. This is an unspoilt example of a small early church, modest in size but with a number of interesting features and very picturesque appearance. Source: Kelly's Directory 1966

Listing NGR: SS3847613261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91555
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1966)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12143/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].