THE OLD MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105559

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105559 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 07:12:14.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lifton

National Grid Reference: SX 38685 85066

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 38 NE LIFTON LIFTON

2/148 The Old Manor - GV II

House adjoining and formerly part of the Old Rectory (q.v.). Early to mid C16 with C18 and C19 alterations, late C20 alterations to plan and fenestration throughout. Rendered stone with massively thick front wall and 2-span slate roof gabled at ends. Rendered stacks at gable ends of front block, brick stack in valley between roofs. The C16 plan has been obscured by later alterations, but the core of a grand house exists at the left end of the existing house and running at right angles to it. The early house may have been 2 storeys with a principal first floor chamber, or an open hall in association with a stack. In the C18 when the house was extended to the left (now a separate property) the Old Manor was probably refronted and the axis of the roof changed. C19 and C20 alterations include a rear right kitchen and considerable replacement of joinery. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front with plastic 2-leaf glazed front door and plastic pivot-hung late C20 windows replacing timber casements and sashes. Interior At right angles to the facade, at the left, is a fine 3-bay moulded arched brace roof, probably of chestnut, with a heavy roll moulding. The principals have curved feet and are probably raised crucks. Rafters, 3-tiers of trenched purlins and 1 wind brace survive, the ridge was diagonally-set. The timbers are not smoke- blackened. There is no evidence of an original fireplace at first floor level. The ground floor fireplace has been rebuilt and the lintel replaced. A massive beam (axial to the early roof) and exposed joists look largely replaced, and the stack at the left end of the front block appears to be an insertion. Adjacent to the rebuilt fireplace is an intact, probably C19 range for cream-making. A C16 chamfered arched shouldered timber doorway, formerly described as being on the ground floor, is now on the first floor and blocked. The house was formerly the manor house and probably became the rector's residence in 1555 when William Harris of Hayne purchased the manor (Kellys, 1906).

Listing NGR: SX3868485062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92392

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

End of official listing