SAMPFORD MANOR AND ATTACHED BARN AND FRONT WALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- SAMPFORD MANOR AND ATTACHED BARN AND FRONT WALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105727 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 01:11:44.
- Statutory Address:
- SAMPFORD MANOR AND ATTACHED BARN AND FRONT WALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- Sampford Spiney
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 53300 72469
SAMPFORD SPINEY SAMPFORD SPINEY
SX 57 SW
7/113 Sampford Manor (formerly listed as
- Hall Farmhouse) and attached barn
21.3.67 and front wall
Farmhouse and attached barn. Early C16, possibly incorporating earlier building, refronted and altered 1607 (dated over front door), some C18 alterations, C19 internal alteration to C17 end room to right and insertion of stair, some C20 alterations including first floor dormer windows removed from Whimington Farmhouse (qv); barn attached to front left, probably of late C17/early C19, incorporating earlier materials; front wall and doorway reset, c. 1880, forming courtyard to front of house. Granite and slatestone rubble, granite dressings, granite quoins, slate roofs with granite ashlar end stack to right and rear lateral stacks with shaped caps and cornices. Originally 3-room and through passage plan, with wide passage, shippon to left, hall and inner room to right. Remains of wall at shippon side of original passage indicate that passage was not open to shippon. Alterations of 1607 formed new entrance with lobby created in former hall, right end refronted and extended by one bay toright. Original passage door remains as entry to shippon. Walls to right and left of original inner room are of equal thickness. Rear wing of one-room plan, unheated, with entry from original inner room, probably of late C17. The alterations of 1607 included stacks, hall possibly floored at or shortly before this end. Addition to right of 1607 was originally of one-room plan, heated by gable end stack. This was divided c. mid C19 to form rear stair hall; site of earlier stair uncertain. 2 storey and 5-bay front has at ground floor 3 granite 3-light windows with hollow- chamfered mullions and surrounds, hood-mould and C20 casements, to right a C20 4-pane light, second from left a 4-centred arched roll-moulded doorway with frieze, RA 1607 CA (for Robert and C Atwell) with hood-mould with flowers on stops and foliage in spandrels, first floor has 3 irregularly spaced gabled dormers each with single-light granite casement, hollow-chamfered, with hood-mould and C20 glazing; dressed granite quoins to left, rough-cut granite quoins to right at joint between original house and end bay of 1607. Attached to front right a small gabled outhouse with flat-arched opening at ground floor and single light in gable end with flat granite lintel and slate cill, large quoins. Set back to left, former passage entry with granite pointed arch, chamfered and step stopped, with 2 former lintels set in wall to left, rebuilt wall at upper level, roof lower than main range, asbestos slate-hung gable end of main range above. Lean-to in angle with front barn range, has roof missing. Barn has 2 blocked ventilation slits to right, cart entry and 2 lower ventilation slits to left, one with iron stanchion remaining. Front wall attached, runs about 5 metres in front of house, about 1½ metres high with granite coping, has off-centred reset 4-centred arched granite doorway, roll-moulded with roundels in spandrels and hood-mould, gable over with shield and initials JPH; reset round-arched granite opening to left. At right end, attached outhouse has rear door and blank gable end; gable end of main range has single hollow-chamfered granite light at ground and first floor left, similar 2-light granite casement at first floor right, wall chamfered to right. Lower 2-storey rear wing to right has no windows at right end, gable end has low set 2-light window in C20 frame, inner side asbestos slate-hung with 2-light casement at ground and first floor of 6-panes each light. Rear of main range has gable, stack with fireplace and oven projections at base, C20 single light at first floor right, single light in hollow-chamfered granite surround at upper level to right, wall corbelled out to right, possible site of early stair; rear of lower end has 4-centred arched plain granite opening, with small single-storey addition to right, end wall rebuilt late C20 with ground floor 4-light and first floor 3-light window. Shippon end has former wide opening, timber lintel remaining, to front, visible internally, and small blocked opening under eaves. 4-bay C20 roof, formerly had stream channelled in at rear wall. Rear gable end of barn has ventilation slit at upper level, large granite quoins diminishing in size towards top; front gable end has irregular segmental-headed granite openings at ground and first floor, probably reset from earlier building, large ventilation slit at ground floor left and in gable end; outer side of barn has granite segmental-headed doorway to left, irregularly spaced ventilation slits; interior of barn has 6-bay C20 roof, splayed reveals to openings. Interior At front entry, doorway to right in granite, with 4-centred arch, roll- moulded, with carved leaves in spandrels and step stops, no hood-mould, of 1607 alterations. Step up to room to right originally inner room, with 7 chamfered axial beams to ceiling, fireplace to rear with flat granite lintel and upper timber lintel extending through wall to former hall to left. Wall to room to left has keeping hole and former doorway, blocked, with 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered and step stopped, in granite (formerly between hall and inner room); similar door to rear giving access to rear wing, probably reused, and similar door to right to end room of 1607. End room remodelled in mid-late C19, partition wall to rear dividing off rear dog-leg stair, gable end fireplace in granite, segmental-headed, hollow-chamfered and roll- moulded with leaves in spandrels. From former inner room, step down to former hall, with slate floor and rear fireplace with cambered and chamfered granite lintel, cloam oven to rear left, smoke chamber with granite walls to right; probably site of original stair to left, now cupboard; end wall originally backing on to passage has 2 keeping holes, one with door with strap hinges, keeping hole also in wall to right. Upper floors and roof not accessible, said to have plainer granite fireplace at first floor gable end to right.
Listing NGR: SX5329972470
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing