BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105924

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, MILLWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105924 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:10:23.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, MILLWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Bradninch

National Grid Reference: ST 00015 03946

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADNINCH MILL WAY (east side), SS 90 SE Bradninch 13/41 Baptist Chapel - GV II

Baptist chapel. Dated 1832, with rear extensions of 1870 and C20, and front porch of 1917. Rendered, under gabled-end slate roof. 2 storeys. Front: 3 bays, under gable end with parapet, with a diamond-shaped datestone in gable wall, each bay triangular headed and divided by giant pilasters with moulded capitals, and identical pilaster quoins, the moulded capitals returning to form the cornice to the side elevations. The middle bay is wider than the others. Upper windows, 2 lights, triangular headed, 8 panes per light with diamond-shaped top lights. The ground-floor side windows are similar but formerly served as entrances prior to the addition of the central porch; flat-roofed, with entrance to left-hand side, and a 3-light square-headed window to the front. Side elevations: 5 window range, 3 to 'nave', 2 to 'chancel', those towards the entrance end blocked; the 2-light triangular headed left hand side 'nave' windows have lost their top lights in a 1980s double-glazing scheme, but the glazing is intact to the right-hand side, with 8 panes per light. Red brick rear extension (for 1870 schoolroom) and C20 roughcast room supported on stilts are of no special architectural character. Interior: plain ceiled roof; timber gallery at entrance end with 3 pairs of panels with Greek key motifs divided by pilasters, under moulded cornice and rail, reached by staircase with turned balusters. Porch window with First World War memorial window portraying St George, St Michael and Joan of Arc.

Listing NGR: ST0001503946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95233

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing