- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- SHILSTONE FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106100 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 12:39:49.
- Statutory Address:
- SHILSTONE FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 70221 90707
SX 79 SW DREWSTEIGNTON
5/60 Shilstone Farmhouse
Farmhouse, former Dartmoor longhouse. Probably C16 origins, thoroughly refurbished in late C17 - early C18, modernised in C19 and circa 1950. Granite stone rubble, some of it large grade and tending to courses and former shippon end has sections of ashlar; granite stacks with chimneyshafts of maybe late C17 - early C18 brick; thatch roof. Plan and development: L-shaped plan. The main block faces east and is built down the hillslope. It originally had a 3-room-and-through-passage plan and was a Dartmoor longhouse. At the uphill right end the inner room parlour (now used as a kitchen) has an end stack. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the former passage. A former kitchen block (now a sitting room) is built at right angles to rear of the inner room and there is a large stair turret in the angle of the two wings. The kitchen wing and the stair turret were added in the late C17 - early C18. At the same time the main block was thoroughly refurbished and the roof structure was completely replaced, probably at a higher level than the original. Circa 1950 the shippon was disused, its roof was removed and the walls reduced to first floor level. It was converted to a terrace with a balcony provided to the first floor chamber over the former passage. The passage itself was converted to a woodstore and its front doorway blocked. At the same time new front doorways were inserted into the former hall and parlour. House is 2 storeys. Exterior: the house has an irregular 4-window front of late C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars. The right 3-window section is symmetrical about the parlour doorway, a C20 part-glazed door. The hall doorway lies behind a circa 1950 rubble porch with thatch roof containing a plank door. The window to the left of this is blocking the original passage front doorway. The roof is hipped each end, particularly steeply so at the left end. The open shippon end front includes the cow door immediately left of the blocked passage front doorway and left of this two window embrasures. The end wall of the shippon has 3 drain holes, one on top of the other. The rear and former kitchen block has similar fenestration to the front. Interior: is largely the result of C19 and C20 modernisations although the earlier plan is intact and therefore suggests that these modernisations were superficial and that earlier work probably survives under the plaster. For instance the main fireplaces are blocked by C20 grates and both rooms here have flat ceilings. The former kitchen fireplace was given a segmental arched head in the C19 and the oven was relined with brick then. The crossbeams here are unchamfered. The main stair is late C17 - early C18, a dogleg stair rising around a framed wall. Also there are a couple of contemporary fielded panel doors. The roofs also date from this time. Both are unusually tall and are very steeply pitched. The rear block roof is carried on A-frame trussed with pegged lap-jointed collars. The front block trusses are similar but rest on tie beams and are braced by raking queen struts. Shilstone is very attractively located even by Dartmoor standards and forms part of a good group with its associated farmbuidings, the oldest of which are listed.
Listing NGR: SX7022190707
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.