This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BURROW FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BURROW FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1106449

Location

BURROW FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holcombe Rogus

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95937

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOLCOMBE ROGUS ST 01 NE 5/87 Burrow Farmhouse and adjoining - cottage GV II Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins, rearranged and enlarged in the early C17. No work can be seen associated with the datestone of 1743. Plastered stone rubble, probably with cob; stone rubble stacks with plastered brick tops; concrete tile roof, formerly thatch. Plan and development: L-plan house. The main block faces south and has a 3-room lobby entrance plan. The left (west) end room is the kitchen and it had a projecting rear lateral stack but this has been blocked up and replaced by an end stack. Large central room, the hall has an axial stack backing onto the kitchen and newel stair turret projecting to rear. Lobby entrance between hall and kitchen in front of the hall stack. The unheated left end room was originally divided into 2 by an axial division. The rear room was probably a dairy and the front one a lobby connecting hall and parlour wing. The parlour wing projects forward at right angles from the right (west) end. Originally there was only the parlour here and it had a gable-end stack. This stack is now axial backing onto secondary extension which has now been brought into domestic use. Although direct evidence is inaccessible it seems likely that the main block began as a C16 3-room-and-through-passage open hall house. However the present layout is essentially the result of an extensive early C17 rebuilding. The west end (original passage and service end room) was completely rebuilt as a kitchen at this time, the hall was floored, the inner room and reorganised and parlour wing was added. The parlour wing is now a self-contained cottage. House is 2 storeys throughout. Exterior: the main block has irregular fenestration, 3 ground floor and 2 first floor windows, all C20 casements and the latest ones without glazing bars. The lobby entrance doorway contains a C20 door behind a contemporary gabled porch. Above it is a Hamstone datestone inscribed RB 1743. Both wings are gable-ended. The parlour wing has similar fenestration. The garage at the end of the crosswing occupies a former horse engine house. Good interior: is well-preserved. In the kitchen part of the chamfered oak lintel of the original fireplace shows although the fireplace itself is blocked. The ceiling structure has been replaced but the roof above is carried on an early C17 side-pegged jointed cruck truss. Early C17 oak Tudor arch doorway containing an ancient studded plank door from kitchen to hall. In the hall the stone rubble fireplace has a chamfered oak lintel. At the upper end a good early C17 oak plank- and-muntin screen with moulded muntins. It contains a blocked original doorway at the right end but the present left end doorway is made up of reused C17 moulded timbers. The 3-bay ceiling is carried by richly-moulded and unstopped crossbeams. Another oak Tudor arch to newel stair where the original stone steps are said to remain under the timber treads. In the inner room the head beam survives from an oak plank-and-muntin partition which has been removed and once divided it into two. Another oak plank-and-muntin screen between inner room and parlour. The parlour has a 6-panel intersecting beam ceiling with deep hollow-chamfered soffits. The fireplace here was apparently blocked after its oak lintel caught fire. The roof over hall and inner room end is inaccessible although the bases of side-pegged jointed cruck trusses are exposed. They look different in character from the one over the kitchen and may be C16. Roof over the parlour is inaccessible. This is a well-preserved farmhouse and interesting for its early C17 layout. Burrow is first mentioned in the 1333 Subsidy Roll as the home of Anestas atte Burghe. Source: Devon SMR

Listing NGR: ST0678019476

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 06780 19476

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106449 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 01:25:52.

End of official listing