This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EAST LEIGH HOUSE INCUDING COB AND STONE GARDEN WALLS TO SOUTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EAST LEIGH HOUSE INCUDING COB AND STONE GARDEN WALLS TO SOUTH

List entry Number: 1106561

Location

EAST LEIGH HOUSE INCUDING COB AND STONE GARDEN WALLS TO SOUTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coldridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95588

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLDRIDGE EAST LEIGH SS 60 NE 1/36 East Leigh House including - cob and stone garden walls to south GV II

House, former farmhouse. Late C16, possibly earlier core; major C17 improvements, alterations and extensions associated with stone plaques dated 1664 and 1678; modernised in mid C19. Mostly plastered cob on rubble footings but stone rubble exposed to first floor level in front of hall, cob exposed to rear of late C17 main block and stair block of exposed stone rubble with some cob; exposed stacks of neatly-squared blocks of local mudstone topped with C20 brick; thatch roof and corrugated asbestos to stair block. House faces south. The original core occupies the centre and left (west) end of the main block and is derived from a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house. The through passage is now at the left end since the service end room has been demolished. Hall has slightly projecting front lateral stack. Probably early C17 kitchen block at right angles to rear of hall with end stack and oven projection. In the late C17 the inner room was rebuilt with a stair block projecting to rear and another room added onto right (east) end with end stack. At this time the main entrance moved to front of former inner room which was given a lobby and converted to an entrance hall. C20 glass-walled outshot to rear of passage in the angle of the main block and kitchen. Balanced but asymmetrical 4-window front comprising a variety of mid C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars and, at the right end, late C19 horned 8-pane sashes. Main door is right of centre; a mid C19 6-panel door with contemporary flat-roofed porch with circular section granite columns with plain caps and unusual moulded entablature including a modillion frieze. Above the porch a small sandstone plaque is inscribed '1K 1664'. Another set in the right end stack is inscribed '1K 1678'. There is a second mid C19 6-panel door at the left end of front to the through passage. The hall stack has its original rubble chimney shaft, now plastered and extended with C20 brick. The roof is gable-ended, as too is the rear kitchen block. Rear also includes late C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars and the stair block has a large C19 2-light casement with glazing bars. The rear passage doorway is late C16-early C17; an oak doorframe with flat-arched head and chamfered surround, the stops have worn away. It contains a contemporary plank door with plain strap hinges and enriched with a star pattern of nail heads. It preserves the original oak lock housing. Good Interior: the through passage has a pitched cobble floor. The passage-hall partition is a late C16-early C17 oak plank-and-muntin screen; the muntins are chamfered with late step stops, there is an ovolo-moulded cornice on the passage side, and it contains a flat-arched doorway. The large hall fireplace of about the same date is built of neatly squared mudstone blocks with a soffit-chamfered oak lintel and includes an inserted cloam oven. The 3-bay ceiling is carried on late C16-early Cl7 crossbeams, soffit-chamfered with step stops, although the half beam against the cob crosswall at the upper end appears to be a mid C17 replacement; it is soffit-chamfered with bar-runout stops. Part of the floor at the upper end is of pitched cobbles. Another oak flat-arched doorframe with chamfered surround and step stops leads from hall to kitchen. The kitchen has plain axial beam and a large rubble fireplace with plain oak lintel and inserted or relined late C19 oven. The entrance hall, the former inner room, has a late C16-early C17 crossbeam, mutilated but soffit-chamfered with step stops. The doors to the hall and entrance lobby are late C17 fielded panel doors hung on early H-hinges. The end room was refurbished in the late C19 and no earlier features show. The stairs were replaced at the same time. On the first floor the chambers over the hall and passage show mostly late C16- early C17 features. They are separated by an oak-framed close-studded closed truss which includes a flat-arched doorway with chamfered surround and step stops. An early C17 oak plank-and-muntin screen, its muntins chamfered with scroll stops, is now used to line the end wall. Both the closed truss and the open truss over the hall chamber are side-pegged jointed cruck trusses. They are not smoke-blackened. The doorway through the cob crosswall at upper end of hall chamber has early C17 chamfered and scroll-stopped oak frame. The rest of the roof of the main block has been altered but most appears to be C17 carpentry and towards the east end is an apparently early C17 A-frame truss with pegged dovetail lap-jointed collar with 2 sets of threaded purlins. The kitchen roof is probably late C17 comprising tall A- frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. The front garden is enclosed by a C19 low rubble wall with C20 concrete coping to west and cob with slate and corrugated asbestos coping to south and east. Until 1921 the house was in the occupation of the Kingdom family according to the present owner.

Listing NGR: SS6976905343

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 69771 05336

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 11:14:40.

End of official listing