CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106600.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2020 at 05:38:29.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 67691 07665
SS 60 NE
3/9 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Small parish church. Norman origins, chancel probably C14, nave probably C15, both thoroughly renovated in 1876, early C16 west tower. Mostly local mudstone rubble but includes some volcanic stone rubble; original granite and volcanic stone detail; restoration detail in red sandstone and Portland stone; slate hung belfry; slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Nave, lower and narrower chancel, west tower, south porch. Pulpit passage projects from south side, possibly adapted from former rood stair turret. Various gothic styles. Low and unbuttressed west tower with timber-framed belfry and small splay-footed spire. The belfry slate-hung circa 1980 with shaped slates. It was formerly weather-boarded and hung with oak shingles in C19. Plain belfry windows. On west side tower doorway is a late C16 early C17 granite 2-centred arch with moulded surround. C19 studded plank door with vertical cover strips and plain strap hinges. Above is a contemporary granite square-headed 3-light windows with round heads and sunken spandrels and replaced mullions. North side has tiny lights to internal stair turret. South side has small elliptical, almost round-headed granite light to ringing loft. South side of nave is roughcast to left of porch and contains a mostly - restored 2-light Perpendicular arch-headed window, and is exposed rubble to right of porch and contains a rebuilt arch-headed window with plain intersecting tracery. South porch of 1876 is gabled with roughcast walls, Portland stone kneelers, coping and apex cross and 2-centred outer arch with chamfered surround and contains C20 double doors. Pulpit passage turret includes small C19 trefoil-headed light. Chancel apparently all 1876 work and has Decorated style window tracery: a small 2-light window on south side, 2 3-light window on east end and small lancet on northern side. East end has sandstone kneelers and coping with a fleuree apex cross. Nave gable has a terracota fleuree cross. On the north side there is a buttress between chancel and nave which is blind and roughcast. Interior mostly 1876 work but includes some good earlier features. South doorway is a probably restored plain Norman arch and contains an old plank door with front coverstrips fixed by large nails. Tall plain tower arch and inside early C16 beams to ringing floor and small granite flat-arched doorway to newel stair with hollow- chamfered surround. Nave has ceiled wagon roof, restored but still retaining some much later C15 work. It is 8 bays with crenellated wall plate, moulded ribs enriched with four-leaf decoration and several original carved oak bosses. Plain C19 timber chancel arch and open wagon roof to chancel is C19. Windows have C19 stone near arches and ashlar quoins are exposed in chancel. Floor of pulpit passage has reset slate graveslab of John Luxton (died 1676) and C19 flat arched doorways. Floor of nave and chancel of coloured C19 tiles and chancel includes contemporary encaustic tiles. C19 oak alter rail on heavy wrought iron supports with foliate brackets. Plain C19 deal benches as choir stalls. Fine and unusual late C15 Flamboyant gothic oak chancel screen, comprising 3 bays either side of central door. Each bay has linenfold wainscotting, and square- headed 2-light windows with twisted mullions and very French looking tracery, and sub-tracery forming the finest filigree of Flamboyant curves only a little of which survives. Attached shafts between bays have crocketted finals. Original ogee- headed doorway with moulded surround was adapted for square-headed door (now missing). A unique feature is the canopy which includes remains of 3 image brackets. It appears never to have had a rood gallery and head now surmounted by simple C19 crestwork. Jacobean oak semi-octagonal drum pulpit on C19 sandstone base. Panelled sides have lower carved strapwork panels and upper panels with ornate chip-carved blind arches enriched with rosettes and a strapwork frieze above. C19 Beerstone Decorated Gothic style octagonal font. 2 marble neo-classical mural monuments on both sides of nave both with shaped plaques. One in memory of John Weston (died 1798) his wife Anne (died 1801) and their descendents up to 1830, the other to the Rev. John Luxton (died 1837). South side has plain plaque in memory of Abraham Tidboald (died 1842). Late C19 stained glass in chancel and east end of nave. Screen was either imported from Brittany or, more likely since it fits the church, made by an immigrant Breton master craftsman. 2 nearby parish churches, Colebrooke and Coldridge, have Flamboyant screens so similar as to be the work of the same hand. They are very good. Source: Devon SMR, Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS6769107665
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing