- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- COLLETON MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106728 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 15:32:08.
- Statutory Address:
- COLLETON MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 66880 14674
SS 61 SE
5/8 Colleton Manor
House. Medieval origin, remodelled or rebuilt probably in 1612 by Humphrey Bury, altered in circa late C17 or early C18 and again in late C19 and or early C20. Local sedimentary stone dressed and brought to course and with granite dressings. Slate roof with granite coped gable ends with moulded caps and ball finials at the apexes. Gable end, axial and lateral stacks with dressed stone shafts with moulded caps. Plan and development: The existing house is largely the result of a major remodelling if not an entire rebuilding by Humphrey Bury in 1612. The only recognisable features of the Medieval house (apart from the chapel/gate house qv) are the cellar windows at the lower west end, the hall's small rear window and the former passage rear doorway, none of which are certainly insitu. The present house has a large hall at the right hand (east) end heated from a lateral fireplace at the back; the hall is unusually long and narrow which suggests it is on the site of the Medieval house. The screens passage at the left (west) end of the hall has a 2 storey porch at the front. The lower left side partition of the passage was removed to form a wide entrance hall probably is about the late C17 or early C18 and probably coeval with the building of the stair tower behind the entrance hall which rises to a spacious landing on the first floor and up to attics in the roof qv. The stair tower is in the angle with the wide cross-wing at the lower left end. The cross-wing has a cellar, a parlour on the ground floor heated from a lateral stack on the left side, two heated bedchambers above and an attic in the roof. The common rafter and tie-beam room structure provides two large attic spaces, one over the cross- wing and the other over the main range with access from the stair tower. In spite of the early character of its gable end stack and its stair turret the kitchen wing at the rear of the higher right hand end is a C19 replacement of an earlier parallel rear range depited in a C19 engraving. This earlier range must have dated back to the C17 and would explain the C17 doorcase in the back wall of high end of the hall. The present rear wing returns with a later C19 or early C20 single storey service range forming a rear courtyard. The courtyard (now garden) at the front is now open on the left (west) side and on the right side there is a long wing projecting from the higher end of the house; it might be C17 or at least in part C17. The gate house/chapel qv archway is not in line with the screens-passage of the house. In front of the gate house there was probably in C17 another courtyard surrounded by stables and other outbuildings. Exterior: 2 storey and attic with cellar and the left hand cross- wing. Five-bay south front symmetical but for the long wing to right. Central 2 - storey gabled porch and wide gabled cross-wing to the left. All granite mullion-transom windows with hood moulds and later casements with leaded panes; ground floor left and right of porch 4-light and to left in cross-wing 6-lights all with king mullions; first floor windows are mostly later replacements. Granite roll-moulded porch doorway with segmental, almost round arch and hoodmould with niche above holding arms; moulded timber inner doorframe. Long 2-storey wing to right, the inner west elevation of 5-bays with 3-light mullion windows, only 3 of the left end have original granite frames; the gable end has 4-light window in place of earlier doorway. The right hand (east) gable end of main range has granite 2-light first floor and attic windows. The left hand side of the cross-wing has a lateral stack with set-offs and to left and right late C19 or early C20 2-light windows and earlier cellar windows with 4-centred arch headed lights. The rear north elevation has gabled cross-wing to right with C20 orial and projecting gabled stair tower in its left hand angle; the main range to left has various early windows and a large projecting lateral stack with set-offs and tall shaft with a moulded cap; to the left of stack a 4-light granite mullion window with king mullion and a wooden 4-light moulded-transom window above. To the right of the stack the back doorway of the screen passage has a moulded (cavetto and cyma) 2-centred arch frame with convex stops and hoodmould above to the left a 2-light window with 4-centred heads and above circa late C17 or early C18 2 and 3 light wooden windows. The rear service wing projects to left and has large projecting gable end stack with tall shaft, late C19 casements and pentice for access to single storey service wing which returns to form a courtyard behind the house. Interior: Hall has a fine single rib moulded plaster ceiling; from 3 large pendants ribs radiate into kite-shaped designs and moulded rib panels with floral sprays at the corners. The moulded plaster frieze is dated 1612. The large lateral fireplace has hollow chamfered granite jambs with ball stops, the chamfer continued into a large cambered timber lintel. Doorway at the rear of the high end of the hall has a cyma moulded wooden frame, the stops worn away. The C17 dado panelling in the hall has a carved frieze, Screen at lower end of hall with chamfered stiles and rails and small panels and carved pulvinated frieze above. On the lower left side of the screen is the entrance hall with a C19 moulded plaster cornice and granite fireplace. Behind the entrance hall a staircase in a closed well with late C19 or early C20 balustrade. The parlour (drawing room) has on 2 sides fine early C17 panelling divided by pilasters with strapwork bases and palm leaf carved shafts in pairs with debased Ionic capitals over which are the arms of the Bury family in a strapwork friege. The ceiling is embossed paper in imitation of plasterwork and the chimneypiece is C19. Tudor arch doorway with double cyma moulding into cellar under parlour; the cellar has 2 large chamfered cross-beams, the stops rotted and unchamfered joists; C18 panelled door at top of cellar stairs. The joinery on first floor is mainly C19 except for the 2 bedchambers in the cross-wing the front room has early C18 fielded panelling and cornice with a fireplace across the corner and the back room has only panelled window reveals and a moulded wooden cornice and both room have C18 fielded 2-panel doors. The large timber column on the landing supporting a beam in the front wall is a later introduction. The joinery and plaster cornice in the front (north east) wing are C19 and so probably is the small Tudor arch fireplace on the ground floor. The kitchen in the rear wing has a large blocked fireplace and in a turret at the side a wide newel staircase. Roof: Unusual for Devon there are C17 common rafter roofs over the main range and cross-wind providing 2 large uninterrupted attic spaces. The large scantling oak rafters have mortice and tenon jointed apexes and are similarly jointed at their feet to the ties, on which there are floorboards; the attics were probably originally plastered. There is no ridge-piece or purlins to prevent racking and the roof depends on the battens for lateral support. There is an opening in the rafters connecting the two attics. The roofs over the front and rear wings at the higher end are nailed softwood structures. Historical Note: Colleton was the seat of the Burys from the late C14 until 1804 when it passed to Capt. Richard Incledon RN, one of whose daughters married the Rev. John Russell, the hunting parson. The chapel(qv) at Colleton was first licenced in 1318 and again in 1402 and 1413. Sources Hoskins W.G., Devon page 368. Country Life 28th August 1915 pp 296-301. Engraving by E. Ashworth.
Listing NGR: SS6687014672
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 28 August, (1915), 296-301
Hoskins, W G, 'A New Survey of England' in Devon, (1972)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing