- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- WYNERFREDS, BROOK LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106888 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 13:01:22.
- Statutory Address:
- WYNERFREDS, BROOK LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 93525 15207
1517/9/204 BROOK LANE 05-APR-66 WASHFIELD BROOK FARMHOUSE
SS 91 NW WASHFIELD BROOK LANE, Washfield
9/204 Brook Farmhouse
Former farmhouse, possibly originally the solar wing of a larger house. 1565 (datestone), refronted late C19/early C20; Fine coursed ashlar masonry: courses of small blocks laced with courses of larger blocks, all on low stone rubble footings with a moulded string course; front left corner with shallow set-offs. The front wall has been rebuilt in brick in the late C19/early C20; slate roof, gabled at ends; end stacks with red brick shafts. Plan: What survives of the original plan form suggests a 3-storey solar wing, the hall and service end of which has been demolished. It is a 2 storey and attic arrangement with high quality carpentry on the first floor indicating a superior chamber at this level. There has been some alteration of internal partitions but the (incomplete) plan is single depth, originally with 1 room on the ground floor and an internal stack at the left end. A stair to the first floor rises against the rear wall and a further flight to the attic rises against the left end wall, adjacent to the left end stack. The first floor may originally have been a single room with high quality moulded cross beams but, to the rear, a pair of C16 doorframes in a partition gives access to 2 small closets, the right hand closet lit by an oriel window. The function of the attic is unclear; it has a C16 doorframe to the stair and a substantial floor. Masonry details suggest that the building extended further to the front, the front probably rebuilt in brick following the demo- lition of the rest of the house. The adjoining range to the south, now a separate house, was probably added in the C19, but is not included in the listing. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. 2-window front, deceptively giving the appearance of a rather ordinary late C19 brick house with a central gabled porch and probably late C19 3-light timber casements to the right, metal framed C20 replacements to the left. Splendid rear elevation to left hand block, which has a notable oriel window supported on a carved head and corbelled out on orders of carved moulding including beaded ribbon design and scratched ornament. The timber chamfered mullioned window has five lights and one to each return and plain glazing. Below the oriel is an inscription, not entirely legible but probably 'WYNEFRED R.E. MAYNARD JP MS 1565' and the remains of the double-headed eagle of the Worth family. Small first floor 3-light timber mullioned window with chamfered mullions to right of the oriel, 1 similar ground floor left window; probably C20 slit window, ground floor right. The left return has a semi-circular projecting bread oven which may be a C19 addition with some brickwork where it abuts the ashlar masonry. A 3-light chamfered mullioned window lights the stair which also has a very small slit window with a timber frame. 3-light timber mullioned window lights attic. Interior: Altered partitions confuse the plan form but the ground floor appears to have been 1 room originally with deeply-chamfered step-stopped cross beams. C20 grates, probably concealing earlier features. The first flight of stairs has timber treads and risers and a chamfered cambered doorframe at the top; the present first floor axial passage to the rear and division into 2 rooms are probably part of the C19 remodelling. Fine first floor moulded unstopped cross beams, these presumably extend above the plastered ceiling of the 2 small closets at the rear which are fitted in above the width of the rear stair and entered through chamfered cambered doorframes. The attic has a floor of wide planks and has been plastered below the level of the collars of the late C19 or early C20 A frame trusses. The principal rafters of these trusses are straight and the formerly trenched purlins have been re-sited on the outer edge of the principal rafters. The attic floor drops above the small rooms on the first floor but also consists of very wide planks above them. The remains of a plank and muntin screen with a chamfered cambered doorframe survive in the barn opposite the house and originated in the house. A remarkable survival of a very unusual late C16 building of high status. The house is sited south of the church, facing east and the church is visible from the oriel window.
Listing NGR: SS9352515207
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing