This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EAST WORLINGTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EAST WORLINGTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1107333

Location

EAST WORLINGTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Worlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST WORLINGTON EAST WORLINGTON SS 71 SE 8/19 East Worlington House 20.2.67 GV II* Manor house, subsequently the parsonage, now house. Circa early or mid C16, remodelled mid or late C17 when extended. Further late C18 extension and extensive remodelling. Rubble and cob, rendered and colourwashed; water-reed thatch hipped roofs, stacks with C19 brick shafts. Plan: the original plan is uncertain, probably 3 rooms and a through- or cross- passage. It was evidently a house of high status since the moulded arch-braced truss towards the right-hand end suggests that there was a first floor chamber at this end, possibly the lower end. Because there are some smoke-blackened rafters remaining in the roof it is likely that the hall was open to the roof originally. In circa early C17 the hall would have been floored and a lateral stack inserted at the back. There also seems to have been a lateral stack at the back of the lower end. There may have been some remodelling in the late C17 when the right-hand room under the first floor chamber was given a fine plaster ceilign. In the late C18 the whole house was remodelled again and extended by a one room plan addition at either end creating a symmetrical front, the left-hand room was a library, and the right- hand room an outhouse, but its front treated as part of the main facade. At the same time 2 wings and a staircase bay were added at the rear. Plan and description: 2 storeys, symmetrical front of 1:5:1 windows, 12-pane sash window on first floor, exposed sash boxes, 2 similar sash windows on ground floor and two 3-light three quarter glazed French windows. Central door opening, C18 panelled door. Hipped roof C18 ranges at rear with casements; C18 stair-bay with sash windows. Interior: with lower room, now a study with Gothick features including fitted bookshelves; central hall with 2 lateral ovolo-moulded ceiling beams with 2 fillets, keel stops; the parlour with fine plaster ceiling in 3 panels, moulded cornices, central oval panel, late C17. Much C18 work including dado-panelling, panelled doors, chimneypieces on first floor with cast-iron grates and a staircase; the latter with turned newels, stick balusters and ramped toadsback handrail, of dog-leg type. Roof: much rebuilt C18 but with C16 arch-braced truss over the lower end of the house, cyma and ogee moulded, no smoke-blackening, diagonal threaded ridge and threaded purlins renewed. Over the hall-passage partition a further C16 truss with morticed ridge, not moulded, some smoke-blackened rafters also remain. Remains of a wooden mullioned window may be seen from inside the roof under the eaves of the rear wall. The manor house was mentioned in a terrier of 1727 stating: "It contains 8 under- rooms viz; great parlour, hall, kitchen, little parlour, cellar, bottle house, and woodhouse. All ye walles are of mudd except ye great parlour which is of stone". Source: Hodgson Rev H J, in Chulmleigh Deanery Parochial Magazine, March-June 1927).

Listing NGR: SS7748413667

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hodgson, Rev H J, 'Chumleigh Deanery Parochial Magazine' in March, (1927)
Hodgson, Rev H J, 'Chumleigh Deanery Parochial Magazine' in June, (1927)
Hodgson, H J, 'Chumleigh Deanery Parochial Magazine' in April, (1927)
Hodgson, Rev H J, 'Chumleigh Deanery Parochial Magazine' in May, (1927)

National Grid Reference: SS 77484 13667

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2017 at 04:17:40.

End of official listing